Chapter Thirty One

"What are you doing here?" I whispered frantically as I stood in place, my feet cemented nervously to the ground.
      Wyck ignored me, his arm reached out to pet Maia on the head. "I didn't know you had a cat."
     I shook my head, my eyes still bulging, "Wha- how'd you get in? What if my parents walked in here?" I spouted off at him, trying to keep my voice low.
     Wyck looked at me, which made me shrink. He pushed his legs off the side of the bed and stood up. His tall lean stature then began walking slowly through my room to reach my dresser where he picked up a few knickknacks and eyed them curiously. It was the strangest sight I'd seen yet. The boy who had terrified me, but also kept me safe for the last week was now roaming through my room. I knew if my parents walked in and saw this they'd surely have an aneurysm. I don't think they've ever seen someone with tattoos on their neck and face before. The way his tattooed and thin hand then reached up to grip a small stuffed bear that sat on the edge of a shelf above my dresser made me flutter. 
    Maia popped off the bed letting out her distinct meow and rubbed her head against Wycks black pants. He looked down at her and slowly sat on the floor with his legs crossed before pulling Maia into his lap. "I never had pets." He spoke, his deep rocky voice stirred me.
      I was lost for words now. Seeing Wyck touch and explore my bedroom, seeing him sit down peacefully on my floor as if he hadn't just broken into my house, it was so strange and frustratingly intriguing.
     He looked up and glanced around once again before his eyes landed on me. I swallowed. "I'm serious, what if my parents-" I tried to keep my focus.
     Wyck gave me an annoyed look, "Just keep the door locked and I'll hide in the closet or something if they knock." He dismissed me. "I got in through the window. I'm actually concerned about how easy it was, I need to fix that." He trailed off at the end. My weight shifted uncomfortably on my feet.
     "What's the cats name?" He asked after a moment of quiet.
     "Maia." My voice was small, I cringed when he spoke. Fearing he was being to casual and my parents would hear.
     He scooped my cat up in his arms and stood up to have a seat on the edge of my bed. "Why Maia?"
     I squinted at his question, "Um, I named her after the blue star. Because of her eyes and, um." I fell awkward.
     Wyck stared at me, I was in the same place as I entered. He looked tired as his eyes scanned me up and down. I wished then that my dress was a bit longer. "Why are you still over there?" His question sounded like a statement.
     I faltered for a moment before taking slow steps forward and stopping stiffly by my dresser.
     "Come, sit down." He spoke harshly this time.
     My breathing stopped for a moment, but I followed his words and kept my eyes focused on Maia as I sat beside him on the bed.
     "So, you like stars?" His casual tone returned and threw me off guard.
     "Yeah, I... yeah."
     "Good to know." His blue eyes stared deeply into me as I was unable to keep contact. "You're room is cute, like you." He gave me a weak smirk.
     My eyes snapped up then to look at him, his pale face was clear with parted pink lips. My eyes darted away then, "Thanks." I felt shy.
Maia stepped out of his lap purring, she curled up back in the center of the bed where I found her earlier. "Why... are you here?" I asked him again.
Wyck furrowed his brows at me, still annoyed at my questions. He didn't respond at first, instead he pushed himself back into my pillows, his long leg laid down as the other bent up at his knee. I could see his boots were removed and placed by the window. He really did make himself at home. He squirmed for a moment until he seemed comfortable and closed his eyes that were tinted red and purple underneath. He looked the most tired I'd ever seen him.
Only a second later his arm shot out, "Come here." Wyck invited me to lay beside him. I thought for a moment before I scooted over and laid stiffly against his side allowing his arm to wrap around my back and my head laid on his chest. I kept my arms close to my body and only one of my legs overlapped with his.
There was another pause, I knew Wyck was looking at my face but I stared ahead at my windows seeing it was black outside.
"Am I making you uncomfortable?" Wycks liquor voice poured into my ear, filling the silence.
"No, it's okay." I quickly responded.
"I came because I wanted to check on you before you go to sleep. Don't worry I won't be staying long, I have things to do tonight." He spoke dryly at the end. "So, how are you doing? I'm sure it's overwhelming to be back here after all."
It surprised me how conscious Wyck was of how I would feel, he recognized what I had been through with him and it was comforting. "I'm okay." I was short again.
"And...?"
"And. I... I'm happy to be home, thank you again."
"It's the least I can do."
I could feel my heart beating in my chest, for many reasons. I felt overwhelmed with guilt that I brought this killer home where my parents were. I felt more guilty that a small part of me was excited to see him, finally I felt terrified of him. Like I was cuddled against a bomb with a ticking clock.
I heard him yawn above my head, I glanced up at him seeing the veins in his eyes that watered. "Are you tired?" I asked without thinking.
Wyck looked down at me with a small smile. "Yeah, very."
"What are you doing tonight?"
He looked at me again with slightly wide eyes, shocked by my concern. "Nothing for you to know about. Johnny wants to get on the road so he needs me and Julia to take care of some stuff tonight."
I felt sick to my stomach after that, but worried just the same. "But you could get hurt if you're too tired." My head moved back to rest on his arm, making full eye contact with him now. His smile grew.
"What? Are you worried about me?" Wyck teased but his voice was groggy. I didn't respond, my eyes averted embarrassed which caused him to laugh. "Trust me, I'd rather stay here with you, but I'll be fine."
     "Okay." I spoke with my face pressed into his side.
     I heard Wycks head fall into the pillows now, relaxing his body fully. His arm moved to grab my leg that rested on him and pull it further over his body. His finger tips dug into my thigh gently, and ran up pushing my already short dress until it was just under my butt.
Surprised by him moving my dress my hand shot to stop his from moving any further. I hesitatingly held my palm over his hand.
"I like this dress." Wycks voice was gruff and quiet as he spoke with his eyes closed, his face toward the ceiling. His fingers squeezed me again.
I felt a vibration come from his pant pocket which made me jump. Wyck let out a frustrated groan as he let go of my leg and reached to pull his phone from his pocket. "Fuck." He muttered as he lifted his head to look at the screen. His head dropped down, I noticed it was a text from Julia asking him where he was. I felt annoyed to see her talking to him, part of me was glad they wouldn't be on the road together anymore. I rolled my eyes at my own thoughts, how naive to be jealous right now.
Wyck surprised me then when I felt his lips press against the top of my head, giving me a kiss into my hair. I looked up at him afterwards to watch him unhook his arm from my body and slide off the bed. I leaned up as well and crossed my legs. Wyck stretched before he reached down to pull his black boots back onto his feet.
"Are you staying at the hotel?" I asked him.
Wyck looked over his shoulder at me and then refocused on knotting the shoelaces. "Yeah." He sounded annoyed now. Once his fingers tightened the second shoe lace he stood tall and turned to face me again. His body bent over as he placed both hands on my knees, leaning into me.
I swallowed at his closeness. "Unless you want me to come back?" His head tilted to look at me when I tried to turn away.
I was trapped then, in this feeling of fear and attraction. I both wanted him to leave and wanted him to stay. Maybe it's just the dependence I've had on him in the last week, separation would be good for me.
"Hm?" Wyck rushed me.
"No." I spoke quickly and bit my tongue. Would he be angry at me for rejection him? How much power do I have?
His hands then ran up the sides of my thighs, bringing his face closer. "No? Why's that?" He pressed. Another vibration came from his pocket but he ignored it.
"I-"
"I can't tell if you want me or not. Are you just to tell me no?" His sudden change of subject stressed me out. I wasn't ready to talk about this, especially not with him.
"I just told you no." I snapped back, on edge.
"I heard you, Ava. I mean generally." His voice was flat as he pushed off of me and walked towards my window.
"Are you that scared of me?" He turned around again suddenly with a deep crease between his brows, I could tell the subject was heavy on his mind as he didn't want to leave it. "All the times where you seemed to like me, is it just because you're to scared to reject me? Are you feeling brave now that you're home and that's why you can tell me not to come back tonight?" He poured out questions. His body language was frustrated.
I stared at him overwhelmed, I felt the urge to comfort him, he seemed insecure almost.
"I- I don't know." My voice shrank.
"Do you not know? Or do you think I'm going to hurt you if you tell me what you really feel?" Wycks question was nauseatingly direct.
I examined his expression, he was incredibly tired and looked deeply worried. I felt bad for him, he seemed to be so concerned about what he was asking me and I was to nervous and unsure to answer. I pushed myself closer to where he stood until my legs dangled off the side of the bed. My arm lifted as I reached my hand out to grab his arm. Wyck studied my movements carefully, his face cleared slightly. I pulled him by the black sleeve of his hoodie until he stood in front of my knees, then without thought I leaned forward to wrap my arms around the lean torso of the boy. I hugged him with my cheek pressed against his stomach, closing my eyes tightly I spoke, "I like you." I felt his breathing shift. "I'm a little bit scared too. Not of you, I think. I don't think you'll hurt me. You never have, but... you hurt other people. And that scares me. And everything else too, you being so...pushy." I tried to be honest, but I couldn't find the right word to explain him tapping my phone, breaking into my home and telling me I'm his.
Wyck was silent. His phone was vibrating here and there but he didn't pay any attention to the feeling. I felt his large hand press against the back of my head, his fingers slipping through my hair.
He finally spoke. "I'm sorry, again." He began kneeling down until we were eye level, I pulled away to look at him as he continued. "I just... if I could change things, I don't know how we'd even cross paths but I wish it was a different way than this. But, I need you to be mine, Ava. Just tell me if I'm ever scaring you, I can go slow, I can be gentle for you, but you are going to belong to me either way." His hand moved to grip my jaw, forcing me to look into his eyes. "I'll give you room and stay at the hotel tonight, okay?"
"Okay." I agreed. I watched Wyck stand up from there, he gave me a short glance before turning and pulling open the window. "Lock this after I leave." He commanded before he disappeared into the dark outside and slammed the glass shut behind him.