Chapter Twenty Eight

When I woke up it was already 5:50 PM, I rushed out of bed once I realized that it was so late. I saw Wyck sitting in an armchair in the corner of the hotel room watching the large window. How did I sleep that long? And why didn't he wake me up?
      I gathered the clothes from the floor where I had dropped them earlier this morning and rushed to the bathroom. The light was bright and I winced at the gleaming white tile. I closed the bathroom door but was nervous to lock it, I decided to change quickly instead.
      Striping out of the baggy sweatpants and T-shirt Wyck had lent me I stopped to glance at the lacey panties that Wyck had purchased. I felt awkward and guilty that it gave me butterflies, I slipped them on followed by the leggings and T-shirt. The black shirt felt long, falling past my butt. I pulled it over my shoulder until I could see the inside of the nape and read the size was a large.
     I furrowed my brows and released the shirt from my hand. Leaning into the mirror I combed my fingers through my hair and brushed my teeth with the toiletries Wyck had left on the counter, the small bag Julia had lent me was gone. After I finished getting myself ready I took one last look in the mirror, I smiled. For the first time I genuinely smiled, in less than an hour and I'll see my family.
      I walked out of the bathroom and saw Wyck had moved to sit on the end of the bed. I felt awkward when we made eye contact. I didn't know when it would be appropriate to ask for my cell phone back, or if it would be rude to ask if we could leave for the airport right away. "This shirt is big, did they not have a smaller one?" I asked casually trying to ease the silence between us.
     Wyck looked me up and down, he was quiet for a moment but opened his mouth to respond, "Yeah, they had small ones. I just think you look cute when it's to big." He gave me a smirk before looking down at his hands.
     I felt short of breath after his words, flattered but nervous as always. I smiled weakly and walked tower to grab the gray jacket I still had from Oliver off the nightstand. I pulled my arms through and zipped the jacket halfway knowing it would be cold outside.
     "We can leave soon, do you want anything to eat," Wyck asked me still looking down.
     "No thank you, we can go... straight there." I paused trying to sound less eager to get to the airport.
     "It's alright if we're late, like I said I don't want you to run into anyone." His voice was dark.
     I breathed in and walked towards the door, looking around for my pink backpack knowing he'd give it back to me soon, I was extremely excited to have my phone again, even though he had control over that too. "Okay, we can get something then." I surrendered as long as it meant we'd be on our way into the airport.
     I heard the bed shift behind me, I spotted my backpack by the door in the same moment. I rushed to ask Wyck if I could have it but before I made a step to retrieve my pack, there was a strong grip on the hood of my jacket that snapped me backwards. I stumbled into Wycks chest with my back.
     My head tilted up and turned around to look at him, my eyebrows furrowed in confusion at why he grabbed me so hard by my clothing. But the moment I looked into Wycks blue eyes I felt incredibly small.
     He stared down at the gray hoodie that kept me warm with an unwavering glare. Slowly his eyes scanned up to meet mine as his grip on the hood grew tighter, balling in his fist.
     "Who's jacket is this?" The boy spoke through his teeth as he towered over me. I tried to spin around to face him but his grip didn't allow me to move.
     Immediately I knew what he was referring too. "It's mine." I lied.
     "Yours?" His eyes widened dramatically. "You're sure it's not your boyfriends?" He was sarcastic in a cruel way.
     "I don't have a boyfriend." I tried to shut him down but Wyck pulled me sideways and pushed me against the wall, pressing my chest and face into it. I felt his body fully against mine as he sandwiched me from behind, my bruised cheek pulsed.
    His tattooed hands reached around to roughly tear the zipper down, likely snapping it. It caught my shoulder as he ripped the jacked down my arms and threw it towards the bed. Then his hand gripped the nape of my neck forcing the side of my face harder into the wall. Wycks lips leaned into my ear and I shivered as he growled his words.
     "Who jacket is that?" He paused between each word. "Don't try to fucking lie to me. I saw it in the photos you have with him."
    I squeezed my eyes tightly shut as I pressed my palms against the wall. "It's Oliver's." I was honest and quiet as I knew there wasn't a way to hide it.
     "And you just wore it around every day while you're with me?" My eardrums ached as he screamed into them. Tears slipped out of my eyes as his anger terrified me. "Why do you have his fucking jacket?"
     I gasped through a sob for enough air to respond, "He gave it to me when I was cold, it's all I had!" I pleaded.
     "All you had? You have me! You don't need his shit, you don't need anyone but me! If you want to wear a fucking jacket, it'll be mine. I even gave you the Seattle one last night and you still put that shit on!" He only seemed to grow in irritation as his voice boomed.
     I cried and clumped my hands into fists, pulling them towards my chest. "I'm sorry, I didn't think about it I just wanted to be warm." My voice was so small I could barely hear myself.
     Wycks head fell into mine, he leaned on me completely as my body shook in sobs.
     There was another pause, Wycks grip held its strength until he spoke again.
     "Did you fucking kiss him-"
     "No!" I spoke over his question.
     "Ava, if you lie to me, I swear to god I'll fucking break his legs and throw him off a bridge." He growled again, threat behind every word.
     "I didn't, he only gave me his jacket- I ran away when he tried!" I cried more. I was scared, frustrated and I didn't understand why I had to explain myself for this.
      Wyck sighed heavily. His grip loosened, "I shouldn't be acting like this toward you." The boy seemed to be speaking to himself mostly. "I know it was before we met, but just the idea of someone else touching you fucking kills me. And why do you have to wear his jacket around?" His voice picked back up at the end.
I was lost for words. I squeezed my eyes tightly shut and tried to take control of my fear in the moment, ignoring his possessive behavior.
"Ava? Why do you still wear it if you don't want him like you said?" He pushed, calming back down in my silence.
I tried to breath in, relax before I responded. "Because it doesn't matter to me, I just needed it to be warm I don't care that it's his." My voice cracked.
      Wycks grip softened as I assured him, he leaned off me until he entirely let go, I stumbled backwards off the wall slightly as he walked towards the bed. I looked over to see the gray jacket on the floor and watch Wyck pull the red one that read Seattle off the bed. "I care, you can wear this." I flinched as he handed it to me, which he noticed. "Sorry I- freaked out." He was awkward now.
      I only glanced at him from the corner of my eye before pulling Julia's jacket over my head, it was a snugger fit than Oliver's. I ignored Wyck, it took me aback how harshly he touched me over a bit of jealousy, he seemed to over react in a terrifying sort of way sometimes.
     Wyck stared at me and I pulled the sleeves down on the jacket and moved to walk past him. He quickly grabbed me by the arm, feeling my distance. "Ava, I'm sorry." He pulled me to look at him.
"I don't like being touched like that." I spoke up, defending myself. Wyck looked surprised at my tone, he let go of my arm and took a pause.
I felt a shot of adrenaline in that moment, that I defended myself and he listened to me, that I had control for the first time between him and I.
"I know. I'm sorry. This kid Oliver better not come up again." Wyck sounded genuine in his apology but his last statement annoyed me. The tall boy who I just noticed was already dressed for the day walked in long strides to pick up my backpack from the door and reached his arm out toward me. I walked over and took it from his hands and followed him out the hotel room door. "We can just go straight there, it's fine." He muttered as we walked through the hallway.
I glanced at him for a moment and then focused on my back pack, I unzipped it to see if was full of all my personal belongings, I felt overwhelmed by the familiarity. Shuffling my fingers through I failed to find my phone. "When can I have my phone?" I shot the question at Wyck.
We reached the elevator, Wyck ignored me as he pressed the down button. I saw his jaw twitch as he took in a deep breath. I could tell this was hard for him. There was uncertainty in his eyes. "You'll get it back soon." He assured me after a while, the elevator door slipped open as Wyck placed his hand around the base of my neck and guided me inside.