Chapter Thirteen

The rain was less harsh but the wind practically knocked me back into the motel room. Wyck watched me struggle as I shut the door behind us and pulled Oliver's sleeves down my arms. I thought I noticed him smirk but I looked away quickly to see there was quite a few men standing around outside the motel room beside ours laughing. I wasn't sure which room the rest of Wycks friends were staying in but none of these people were familiar and they looked a bit rough around the edges. I stepped quickly to walk beside Wyck and he paused at my action. The men stared at the two of us and quieted down, Wyck wrapped an arm around my shoulder as pulled me to walk with him. I felt uncomfortable under the gaze of multiple unfamiliar men but there was a sense of safety to have Wyck beside me.
Only two doors down Wyck stopped us and knocked, wind blew rain onto my back and I shivered. The blue eyed boy looked down and rubbed my arm once to warm me but stopped with an awkward glance.
     There was a feeling so unusual that I felt towards Wyck, part of me was terrified of him. I almost flinch at his movements, patiently I'm waiting for the moment he decides I'm to much of a liability to keep around. The other part of me feels I wouldn't be alive if it wasn't for him. That he's the only person I've met who could truly keep me safe, I felt warm under his arm. The same arm that held me as I watched him put a bullet into a mans brain without a burden on his heart. He was poison wrapped in a bow.
     The door popped open and Julia welcomed us inside.
     It was only slightly warmer in the room, there was two beds with Johnny sat on one and Mason on the other. Beside the red head was two large boxes of pizza stacked and my stomach grumbled as I remembered how long its been since I have eaten. Mason opened the top box and pulled out a slice, he stood up and moved to sit beside Johnny while grabbing the TV remote off the center nightstand. He turned on the TV and began browsing through channels with his back leaned against the pillows and pizza in his mouth.
Wycks arm fell from my body and he turned to lock the motel door and Julia skipped past me and jumped on the bed beside the pizza. She pulled a slice out and leaned to hand it to Johnny before taking one for herself.
I felt a shove forward as Wyck placed his hand on the small of my back, forcing me to step towards the bed. I stumbled slightly, I didn't realize my knees had buckled as I was feeling out of place in the room.
I walked beside him and sat on the bed between Julia and Wyck, he pulled slices of pizza out for me and himself, it took me a moment but I swallowed my nerves and forced myself to eat.
The TV was quiet and I was happy to see Mason was completely distracted by it.
"We should leave early tomorrow, if we drive for most of the day we'll be in Colorado." Johnny spoke.
"Okay, that's the plan then." Wyck swallowed before speaking.
"What are we doing in Louisiana again?" Mason spoke out with his mouth full.
  I noticed Wyck shake his head and look towards the TV. Johnny responded instead, "I don't know the details, it was his choice." He pointed to Wyck.
     "Well, what the fuck?" Mason was loud.
     Beside me the black haired boy pushed himself further on the bed, closer to me. "We don't need to go over any details as of now, there's things to take care of there, although we're not going because of Ava, it's a reason we should be there too."
     Mason rolled his eyes and turned the volume up. "Yeah, we know why you don't want to go over the details right now." He mumbled.
     I turned to Wyck to catch his reaction to Masons comment as I wasn't sure what he meant but Wyck only looked away.

     About thirty minutes past and Julia was in the middle of the floor painting her nails as Wyck and I moved to lay with our backs against the headboard, well, more like Wyck moved me to be beside him as he decided to lay down. 
     Their was a cartoon playing on the television and I wasn't sure why it was so funny to think that a group full of killers watched cartoons while eating pizza as bonding time. Or maybe it wasn't funny at all and I'm going insane.
     Either way I felt uneasy, partly bored and like I'd rather be at home in my own bed. I wish more than anything in the world I never signed up for the stupid trip to Seattle. If I hadn't, right now I'd be sipping a hot cup of tea while laying in my bed with my cat, Maia. But here I am. I don't even know how to describe my situation. 
     There was relief in the fact that we were headed to Louisiana, even though I'm not sure what will happen once we arrive. On a deeper thought, where are they from? My mind grew curious as I realized I knew absolutely nothing about the people around me. Nervously I chose to ask Wyck, I leaned close over his shoulder and whispered into the tattooed boys ear.
     "Wyck?"
     His head tilted to listen to me.
     "Um, if you didn't have anything to do in Louisiana, where would you go?" I beat around the bush.
      "Hm?" His brow furrowed and he turned to look at me, his face was only a few inches away. My stomach fluttered at the closeness between us.
     "I mean... where do you usually go?" I wasn't even making sense to myself at this point.
     Wycks face reflected confusion, he swallowed. "You mean where do I live?"
      I nodded slightly embarrassed at my inability to form a simple question.
      His head shook back at me, "Nowhere." His words were simple.
      "Oh." I thought for a moment. "What do you mean?"
      "We're on the road, constantly. I don't stay places longer than a week." His honestly was refreshing even though I didn't fully understand.
     "You have to have lived somewhere." I searched.
     "Right. Nevada is where I grew up."
His eyes watched my face as we talked, he looked relaxed which was far different than his usual careful and detailed behavior. I began to feel more comfortable in asking him more.
"How long have you been on the road?"
He faced the ceiling, "I think two years," his answer shocked me. Which he noticed and tilted slightly to look at me again, reading my expression. "Hm?"
"Oh, that's just a long time... why don't you have a place to live?" I was nervous for the answer. Would he tell me? Would he say that the police are after him? Or someone else dangerous?
"There's a lot of things that I have to do, they're in all different states all over the place. It's just better to not be held down in one spot."
Wycks response disappointed me, my stomach sunk and I wasn't sure why, or what he meant by 'things to do'. I was scared to find that out.
     "So is that what you'll do forever?" I decided to move past direct questions on his occupation.
      He thought for a moment, "Forever? No. It's miserable doing it now." I hadn't noticed but our voices were both low, whispering the conversation.
     "Why don't you stop then? And find a place to live."
      Wyck stared at my face before looking up to the ceiling again he seemed to think deeply this time, "I've never had a reason to stop." He leaned up from the bed and payed attention to the TV for a moment. His head turned to Johnny, "Let's get out of here by 6 AM."
     Wyck ended the conversation with me before I had the chance to ask him exactly what he would be stopping other than traveling. The curiosity slithered through my mind but my mouth stayed shut as the answer would surly terrify me. We had been in the room a little under an hour or so, Wyck stood up and I got the idea he was planning on leaving for the night so I followed behind him on getting off the bed.
      I watched him say his goodbyes and goodnights, I smiled shyly as Julia wished me to sleep well.       Outside the rain had slowed down and the group of men were no longer outside, which was a relief. We walked back to our motel room,
this time Wycks hands were in his pockets and it felt nice to not be secured in someone's grip. He swiped the keycard and let me walk into the room first, the door shut out the low sound of wind and rain. I flicked on the light which was dim and yellow, the ambiance made me tired.
      I began removing the gray hoodie from my body and placed it gently on the bed, beside me Wyck unzipped the black duffle bag and pulled out the smaller bag that Julia had given me, he handed it to me and I walked to the sink in the back of the motel room. Inside was a few things including a toothbrush which I began to use immediately.
     Wyck walked up behind me holding a toothbrush to do the same with a black T-shirt in his other hand, this was strange to me. Staring in the mirror at a familiar stranger as we practiced dental hygiene. After a few minutes we both rinsed our mouths with water and I began to comb knots out of my hair.
     Wyck leaned into the sink watching me, "You can just sleep in my shirt tonight." His voice was gruff and caught me off guard he placed the shirt in his hand into the counter in front of me. "Give me the pants, I'll put them away."
     I paused, waiting for him to turn around at least but he didn't. Granted the shirt fell to the middle of my thighs once I slipped it over my head, it was still uncomfortable. I unbuttoned the pants and made sure the shirt covered me before sliding them and Julia's shirt down my legs. I folded and handed them to the tall boy who stood in front of me, he stared down at my bare skin and looked up to my face while taking the black jeans from my hands. He tossed the clothes onto the sink counter and stepped toward me. I swallowed moving backwards subconsciously as he grew closer, my eyes darted to his hand as he lifted a finger to trace down the side of my neck, his gentle finger twitched to grip the back of my neck with his full hand, lifting my face up to him.
     "I want to kiss you again."
     His voice slipped out smooth as silk but somehow burned me like aged whiskey. I didn't respond, my eyes roamed his face, the smooth pale skin that wrapped around blue eyes and black brows. His lips were pink and parted moving closer to me until his mouth was an inch from mine. I felt my head press into the wall behind us followed by my back as he sandwiched me between himself and the wall. His body was pressed against mine, our noses touching softly.
     "You can tell me to stop." His voice was quiet, I felt his other hand glide up the side of my torso and pull me closer to him. His neck bent down to reach my face, his lips hesitantly touched the corner of my mouth before he gently kissed me, his lips pulling away once before returning with harder pressure. I kissed him back, it took a moment for me to remember my arms. I reached forward to grab fistfuls of his shirt at his chest as my mind and stomach were buzzing. I melted in his mouth, forgetting the things I saw him do, the unsure and fear I felt toward him faded as I felt so warm under him.
     Wycks arms moved to wrap around me as he
lifted me from the floor and carried me to the bed throwing me into the soft blankets, our lips never parting. His gentle kiss was now harsh and hungry which earned no complaint from me. I wasn't sure how much time was passing as his hands slipped along the bare skin on my legs and reached under the black shirt to feel my naked waist. Gripping and squeezing me. I rubbed my legs against his sides as he hovered on top of me. My hands crawled up his back until he reached to grab my wrists and pin them above my head. His kiss slowed and Wyck leaned up slightly to look at me under him, I whimpered as he pulled away. His mouth cracked a small smile as he leaned down to kiss my cheek once, "Glad you didn't ask me to stop." With that he stood off the bed and reached into the duffle bag to pull out black sweatpants and turned to disappear in the bathroom.
     I stared at the wall in shock and slightly disappointed that he ended the kiss so abruptly, what the hell am I doing? I reached to readjust the shirt I wore and turned to watch the bathroom door Wyck was changing behind. Whatever I was doing, the danger it could be putting me in felt worth it.