Picking up the Pieces

I pulled off the bandages Mal's shaking hands had put on mere hours ago and threw them in the bin. I turned the shower on and laid out more bandages and gauze. Stepping into the warm water I winced as it ran into my open wounds. I grabbed the soap and started to scrub the dry blood that was currently staining my skin. 

After my shower, it was already 5 a.m. and we had another hour before breakfast. I pulled out my phone and scrolled through social media killing time.

"How are you feeling?" I jumped as Mal's voice filled the silence.

"Oh um, I'm fine. Doesn't even hurt," I smiled.

"Bullshit" She groaned getting up.

"Rude."

"Are you ready? We have to be down in 15 minutes."

"I know, I'm about to get changed," I say.

"Sure." Mal disappears into the bathroom and I get dressed in a sports bra, sweatshirt, and leggings.

Mal and I stood in silence in the elevator as we waited for it to close. Mal was mad at me for not telling anyone about last night and was making it very clear to me. Alex and Kelley stepped on with us and their conversation trailed off.

"Everything okay?" Alex asks. The doors close.

"Yep."

"Apparently." I roll my eyes at Mal.

"Why are you guys not talking?" Kelley asks.

"London is stubborn."

"Oh shut up, you're the stubborn one!"

"Me!" She scoffs. "You're the one who's refus-"

"Don't you dare bring that up!"

"Alright, calm down you two. It's too early for this," Alex sighs. "And I haven't had coffee yet."

The doors opened and we went to the meal room. I grabbed a plate and got a piece of toast.

"Is that all you're eating?" Mal whispers.

"No, I'm also getting coffee."

We sat in our regular seats with Rose, Sam, Lindsey, Andi, Emily, and Abby. Rose and Andi kept glancing at me throughout the meal and I kept glaring at them.  

"So, are you guys excited to get to Scotland?" Sam asks. 

Third Person POV

Everyone could sense the tension between London and Mal but no one said anything. Emily and Rose joked around and Sam and Abby were debating with Andi whether UCLA or Stanford was better. Mal was talking to Lindsey about Colorado and London was fidgeting with the rings on her fingers. 

Across the room, Alex kept glancing at the younger forward, worried about her. "She's been acting weird since after the game Kel."

"Alex relax, she's probably just stressed."

"About what!"

"She just moved to a new team, that's plenty stressful."

"She's been there for a month!"

"Al, just talk to her after breakfast." Ali Krieger says from her seat across the table. Alex nods and gives one last glance at the blonde.

London POV

<2 hours later>

I was just finishing up the last bit of packing before heading down to the bus. Mal already left and was probably hanging out with Lindsey killing time. I was nervous to see Kim, and then after that the rest of the Arsenal girls. The worst bit was Kim would probably say something to make me want to call them. I zipped up my suitcase and grabbed my backpack. 

Someone knocked on the door and I looked through the hole and saw Alex.

"Hi Alex!" I smile.

"Hey London, how's the packing coming along?"

"Good, I actually just finished."

"Great, I needed to talk to you about something," She says. 

"What's up?"

"So, yesterday, after the game you seemed upset, you were upset. Then this morning you and Mal weren't speaking to each other. You probably still aren't seeing as she isn't here. What's going on?" 

I look at her without saying anything. I didn't know what to tell her, what lie I could tell that is somewhat believable.

"Nothing," That was terrible.

"Really?"

"It's just, it's nothing. We have to go catch the bus. I walked past her with my things and out of the room.

I sat next to Andi and turned to her.

"I'm making the right choice."

"What?"

"Last night. I made the right choice."

"Okay, it's up to you. Whatever you think will result in the best ending."

"Dammit, Andi. Now I'm second-guessing," I sigh.

"Then it seems like you feel like you made the wrong choice."

The team was sitting in the airport waiting for the plane. A few had grabbed coffees or food, a couple were sleeping, others reading or doing puzzles. I was debating if between texting Daan. I could text her or Jordan and I had no clue which was better. Daan would be pissed, and probably yell over text. Jordan would try and call me fifty times and also be mad.

"You should do it." I look up to Mal. I had a message typed out to Daan explaining the basics.

"Mal-"

"It's hard not knowing what's going on with you. I would want to know- I did want to know." I nod and press send.

"I know you're just looking out for me. I'm confused, and I can't figure out what to do so the least amount of people are hurt."

"Is it worth it to traumatize yourself though?" She whispers back. I don't get the opportunity to answer before we are boarding the plane and I'm turning my phone off. No reply from Daan.

I slept for the whole plane ride, making up for the lack of sleep I got last night. I turned on my phone, no reply from Daan. I was starting to regret my choice to message her. Andi rested a hand on my shoulder and I felt the tension in my shoulders that I didn't know I had left.

"Relax," She says.

It's not until after training do I get a reply. Or more of a lecture that I ignore until I'm lying in bed after dinner.

I had training and team bonding. Now, what the hell were you thinking! I am so proud of you for making your national team by the way! I was so worried before I saw you on that roster! And I only saw it because Lisa took a screenshot and shared it with the group! I thought we had talked about not leaving abruptly! I don't know why you left like that, or why you didn't tell us, or why you took so long to finally text me! We can talk more when we both get home, just try and get along with your old teammates and if you need anything let me know.

Hi! Sorry, I haven't updated in ages, I've been busy with school and soccer but I should be back now! Just a warning in May I might be inactive with exams so just a heads-up. Like always, feel free to leave any suggestions, and thank you all for your support! Love you all!
-rose