𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑻𝒘𝒐

I 022

I 022. I

𝑮𝒍𝒐𝒓𝒚 𝒂𝒏𝒅 𝑮𝒐𝒓𝒆

❝ curse ❞

ARIADNE DIDN'T KNOW HOW TO FEEL WITH LEO FLYING THE HELICOPTER. Sure, she was ultimately nervous, but quite frankly, she trusted him completely.

The sun was going down as they flew north over the Richmond Bridge, and she couldn't Eve live the day had gone so quickly. Once again, nothing like ADHD and a good fight to the death to make time fly.

Piloting the chopper, Leo looked like he went back and forth between confidence and panic.

"Going okay?" Piper asked from the copilot's seat. She sounded nervous.

"Aces," Leo said. "So what's the Wolf House?"

Jason knelt between their seats. "An abandoned mansion in Sonoma Valley. A demigod built it—Jack London."

Leo couldn't place the name. "He's an actor?"

"Writer," Ariadne said. She was crouching next to Jason. "Adventure stuff. Call of the Wild? White Fang?"

"Yeah," Jason said. "He was a sone of Mercury—I mean, Hermes. He was an adventurer, traveled the world. He was even a hobo for a while. Then he made a fortune writing. He bought a big ranch in the country and decided to build this huge mansion—the Wolf House."

"Named that cause he wrote wolves?" Leo guessed.

"Partially," Jason said. "But the site, and the reason he wrote about wolves—he was dropping hints about his personal experience. There's a lot of holes in his life story—how he was born, who his dad was, why he wandered around so much—stuff you can only explain if you know he was a demigod."

The bay slipped behind them, and the helicopter continued north. Ahead of them, yellow hills rolled out as far as Ariadne could see.

"So Jack London went to Camp Half-Blood," Leo guessed.

Ariadne shook her head. "No. He was never one of those I knew who made something of themself."

"Firebird, you're freaking me out with the mysterious talk. Is Jason remembering his past or not?"

"Pieces," Jason said. "Only pieces. None of it good. The Wolf House is on sacred ground. It's where London started his journey as a child—where he found out he was a demigod. That's why he returned there. He thought he could live there, claim that land, but it wasn't meant for him. The Wolf House was cursed. It burned in a fire a week before he and his wife were supposed to move in. A few years later, London died, and his ashes were buried on the site."