𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑺𝒊𝒙

BACK OFF

"a last resort"

"a last resort"

NEW ROME WAS HARD TO HATE. With terraced gardens, the fountains and temples, the winding cobblestone streets and gleaming white villas, the whole place screamed peace and beauty. After the Titan War last summer, Annabeth had gotten her dream job of redesigning the palaces of Mount Olympus. Her blonde friend was no doubt admiring the details in the architecture.

"We have the best architects and builders in the world," Reyna said, as if reading their thoughts. "Rome always did, in the ancient times. Many demigods stay on to live here after their time in the legion. They go to our university. They settle down to raise families. Percy seemed interested in this fact."

Ariadne must have scowled fiercely, because Reyna laughed. "You're a warrior, all right. Both of you are," the praetor said. "You both have got fire in your eyes."

"Sorry." Annabeth tried to tone down her own glare. Ariadne, on the other hand, couldn't do that. She always had a ferocious look on her face, that was what gave her the aura of power surrounding her at all times.

"Don't be. I'm a daughter of Bellona."

"Roman goddess of war?"

Reyna nodded. She turned and whistled like she was hailing a cab. A moment later, two metal dogs raced toward them—automaton greyhounds, one silver and one gold. They brushed against Reyna's legs and regarded the two girls with glistening ruby eyes.

"My pets," Reyna explained. "Aurum and Argentum. You don't mind if they walk with us?"

Ariadne shrugged. "I have a tiger for a pet. Doesn't bother me."

Reyna eyes her curiously.

Ariadne was the tallest of all three. She had grown for the last time, standing at a tall 5'11. Annabeth rested at 5'8, and it looked like Reyna was the same. The other two had to glance up at her. Somehow, that reminded Annabeth of the Amazon's, which were rather tall, and so was her best friend.

Reyna led them to an outdoor cafe, where the waiter clearly knew her. He smiled and handed her a to-go cup, then offered one to Annabeth. His jaw went slack at the sight of Ariadne, who was oblivious to his look, thanking him for the the hot chocolate. One power of her dad's was to know what the exact drink was, and it was definitely the chocolate drink of winter.

"Would you like some?" Reyna asked Annabeth. "They make wonderful hot chocolate. Not really a Roman drink—"

"But chocolate is universal," Ariadne said, sipping the drink.

"Exactly."

It was a warm June afternoon, but Annabeth accepted the cup with thanks. The three of them walked on, Reyna's gold and silver dogs roaming nearby.