𝑻𝒘𝒆𝒏𝒕𝒚 𝑬𝒊𝒈𝒉𝒕

LOSE YOUR MIND

"i never got the chance"

     SHE HAD ALMOST THROWN WHOEVER WAS BEHIND HER OVERBOARD. Their hands had grabbed her, and she was ready to let them slam into the ground before realizing it was a familiar touch.

Percy raised his eyebrows at his girlfriend, who cringed and mumbled a small apology before going back to what she had originally been busy with.

The two were the first ones up, surprisingly. Annabeth wasn't one to be up early, as she usually tended to go to bed rather late when she became too focused on design layouts. The rest were snoring in their beds.

The Argo II was on the way to Kansas. Wind blew back Ariadne's hair while she hurriedly shoved a few pieces of a muffin in her mouth while attempting to put her curls on top of her head. She was struggling.

"Need some help," Percy said, watching in amusement.

She huffed. "No."

Her hair falling down was enough of an answer.

Her boyfriend gently took her hair into his hands. His fingers brushed through it as quickly as possible, twisting the curls inside out before tying it behind her head. He was always great at braiding her hair. She guessed it came with the Poseidon part of him.

"Thanks," she said.

Percy smiled, although she couldn't see it. He wrapped his arms around her waist, letting his chin fall onto her shoulder. They watched as the sun began to rise. A question entered his mind.

"Why are you up so early?" he asked. "Usually you like sleeping in."

"Couldn't sleep." Her response was vague. So many thoughts ran through his Brian about nightmares and anxiety, even some of him. "Don't worry, Kelp ahead, it's all good. I used to wake up early at camp after you were taken. I would go set up the arena and other things for the day, and I would make sure your cabin stayed clean."

His sea-green eyes studied the horizon in interest. "Remember when we woke up really early to go to that little diner that was only open from eleven-to-seven?"

Her lips quirked up. "You mean because your mom wouldn't let us out that late so you dragged me out of bed to get waffles?"

"Yeah." His eyes glazed over. "That's one of my favorite memories. You wore a green t-shirt with jeans and your vans. Your hair was in a bun while you wore one of my jackets."

Ariadne turned around to face him. Her back pressed against the railing, her hands on his waist. "You remember this why?"

"Because I remember watching you tiredly reach for the syrup but you poured water over your food. I laughed so hard I began choking on a piece of my pancake, and you just laughed while trying to use a napkin to somehow save your soggy waffle."