𝑻𝒉𝒊𝒓𝒕𝒚

A FUTURE TOGETHER

"kiss me like this is your last night on earth"

     THE CHILL DOWN HER SPINE WAS THERE EVEN AS PIPER WAS DONE EXPLAINING. Up on the deck, Hedge sang something that sounded like 'In the Navy' while Blackjack stomped his hooves, whinnying in protest. Finally Hazel exhaled. "Piper is right."

"How can you be sure?" Annabeth asked.

"I've met eidolons," Hazel said. "In the Underworld, when I was...you know."

Dead.

"So..." Frank rubbed his hand across his buzz-cut hair as if some ghosts might have invaded his scalp. "You think these things are lurking on the ship, or—"

"Possibly lurking inside some of us," Piper said. "We don't know."

Jason clenched his fist. "If that's true—"

"We have to take steps," Piper said. "I think I can do this."

"Do what?" Percy asked.

"Just listen, okay?" Piper took a deep breath. "Everybody listen." Piper met their eyes, one person at a time.

"Eidolons," she said, using her charmspeak, "raise your hands."

There was a tense silence. The chill swept down Ariadne's back even more.

Leo laughed nervously. "Did you really think that was going to—?" His voice died. His face went slack. He raised his hand.

Jason and Percy did the same. And, to everyone's surprise, so did Ariadne. Their eyes had turned glassy and gold. Hazel caught her breath. Next to Leo, Frank scrambled out of his chair and put his back against the wall.

"Oh, gods." Annabeth looked at Piper imploringly. "Can you cure them?"

Piper focused on Leo because he was the least intimidating.

"Are there more of you on this ship?" she asked.

"No," Leo said in a hollow voice. "The Earth Mother sent four. The strongest, the best. We will love again."

"Not here, you won't," Piper growled. "All four of you, listen carefully."

Ariadne, Jason and Percy turned toward her. Those gold eyes were unnerving. "You will leave those bodies," she commanded.

"No," Percy said.

Leo let out a soft hiss. "We must live."

Frank fumbled for his bow. "Mars Almighty, that's creepy! Get out of here, spirits! Leave our friends alone!"

Leo turned to him. "You cannot command us, child of War. Your own life is fragile. Your soul could burn at any moment."

Frank staggered like he'd been punched in the gut. He drew an arrow, his hands shaking. "I—I've faced down worse things than you. If you want a fight—"