Chapter Fourteen - My Little Butterfly

I opened my mouth ready to spit a few choice words when the door clicked open, I pushed past it and Aaron. Storming into the cabin I scanned the room, "where is she?"

"Who...sweetheart you should be at ho-"

"I swear to fucking god Aaron! Where is she! I know there's someone else in here and I know it's a women!" He clenched his jaw, and that's when I took in his ruffled hair looking similar to how it did once my hands had been tangled in them. His loosened tie hanging lazily around his neck. His jacket thrown over one of the squared chairs and his eyes looking slightly nervous. 'This can't be fucking happening!'

"Are you fucking serious...you think I would...damn it Charlie you couldn't be more wrong!"

"I can smell the perfume Aaron! I heard her in here!" I glanced around and turned to face his private washroom door. "She's in there isn't she! I can't believe this! How could you do this to m-" he clasped my wrist and pulled me towards the bathroom.

"You don't believe me then go take a look! In fact let me!" He pushed the door open and I jumped slightly as it crashed into the wall with a loud thud. He tightened his grip and pulled me inside before releasing me with a painful jolt. "You got me! I'm having a fucking affair Charlie! She's invisible though so don't fucking worry!"

I closed my eyes and felt both guilty and slightly disgusted in myself. He'd never cheated before not even when it was just sex, so why was I so quick to jump to that conclusion? And was my hallucinogenic paranoia gradually evolving? Am I hearing things as well as seeing them? Maybe my paranoia was taking on a progressive state, maybe I am losing it. "W...why didn't you answer? Why did you lock the door?"

"So I wasn't interrupted! I fell asleep Charlie! Alone!" I couldn't help but sigh in relief, I wasn't prepared to break form a betrayal like that. I was almost afraid to even think of what I'd do, how I'd ever survive it...if I would. I threw my arms around his neck and tightened my hold, when he finally put his arms around me my heart beat finally began to calm.

"I...I'm so sorry...I don't know what I was thinking...I don't think you could ever do that, you'd never betray me...you'd never hurt me...I know that." He tightened his arms around me, pulling me closer to himself. "I'm really sorry...I'm so sorry..."

"Don't be...I...I should have come to you, of course you'd assume the worst. Why would you trust me? Don't be sorry-"

"Stop. Just let me be sorry Aaron, I should have known that out of everyone you always tell me the truth. Granted sometimes it takes a while but in the end you tell me and I can't believe I accused you of...cheating. I'm seriously losing it, I'm the worst wife in th-" he pulled away and held me in place with one arm. Lifting my head he clenched his jaw, the all too familiar unreadable expression was back once more.

"You're the best thing that's ever happened to me Charlie. You've given me more than I could have even imagined possible...more than I deserve. The thought of losing you is so painful, so terrifying that sometimes I'm afraid of what I'd do to prevent it...the lengths I'd go to...don't put me on such a high pedestal Charlie...all you'll get is disappointment..."

I placed a hand on his cheek and he closed his eyes I caressed his skin before brushing my thumb over his lips. "There isn't a pedestal high enough for you Aaron...you're perfect. The perfect husband, the perfect father, the perfect boss, the perfect man...and the thought of losing you scares me just as much as it does you." I kissed him compassionately with every ounce of promise...guarantee I possessed. I rested my head softly on his chest and he kissed into the top of my head.

"Let's go." I looked up at him.

"What? Where? Don't you still have work-"

"It can wait. I'm taking you home." I smiled before nodding.