Chapter Seventeen - The Demons We Hide

"You know butterfly...this place resembles the basement at the orphanage doesn't it..." The excitement in his voice had my heart throbbing painfully. "Do you remember?" He urged and I nodded furiously, I would never forget.

'He...he's not here Charlie! He's not here!' "You're not here! You're dead! You're not here!" I chanted repeatedly seemingly convincing myself just as much as him. We'd only been to Dr Northman another two times after my last meeting over the last two weeks. I'd been seeing both Lorraine and Dallas more. I hadn't told Aaron about most of them but he'd assumed when I'd freeze in the middle of the street or refuse to take the children to day care.

Dr Northman thinks it's natural to see them and in particular Dallas more since I'm getting closer to opening up about my experience at the orphanage, I'm making those memories more clear and it natural for me to be seeing him more vividly. "But I'm right here butterfly..." He ran his lips across my bare shoulders and my skin rippled with goosebumps. "I'm never leaving again...I'll always be right here..." His presence was still very much in the room but I could no longer feel him on me.

I instantly flipped and scanned the dimly lit room for him, there wasn't even a shadow. "Sweetheart I'm getting lonely up-"

"Hah!" I jumped and my hands shot to my chest as I turned to face Aaron coming down the stairs. My entire body sagged in relief, up until I noticed his playful expression take on a more concerned appearance. "Aaron...I...I thought I saw a rat." A cautious smile creased his lips as he held out a hand to me, I clasped it instantly and followed him up the stairs. My eyes remained fixed over my shoulders scanning the emptied dungeon as we exited. 'He's not here. He's not here Charlie! He's not here! He's gone! Dead Charlie! He's dead!'

"There she is." Mr Reagan grinned while lifting a hand to me, Aaron tightened his grip on my hand and I smiled. Quickly placing a kiss on his cheek I pulled my hand free and moved to take Mr Reagan's outstretched offering. Two familiar people came forward form the crowd and my jaw almost fell open when it finally clicked as to who they were. Pi man and Lee, I glanced at Aaron who smirked triumphantly.

They simultaneously presented a hand and appeared as formal as ever, only this time there was regret, awe and determination in their eyes. "Miss R- I do apologise, I believe it's Mrs Quinn now." I nodded politely and shook her hand first, than the gentle mans beside her. He looked older, more grey than not and warn out. "It seems we didn't quite know how much you were worth when you walked into our office a year ago. Millions more than the Miller contract is a start."

Her tone was pleasant and surprisingly playful, I sensed her competitive nature as she tilted her head to view Aaron and he nodded politely while raising his flute to her. She chuckled more freely than expected before leaning in closer to me. "I don't suppose we could convince you to switch teams? Maybe a senior position?" I smiled and chuckled softly at her forward approach, she was an opportunist and bold, I'd give her that.

"Go up against my husband...Quinn industries?" I emphasised 'Quinn industries' and she smiled, nodding she moved away.

"Well done with the Harris project last year and by the looks of it, the new contract at hand." He looked towards the other side of the ball room where several Quinn industries Inc drapes hung ceiling to floor. Mr Reagan had managed to show off his new home with elegance that shocked me. I mean mid construction he'd come to us as told us that he was throwing a party on the still under construction property. I had laughed continuously for five minutes straight and of course silenced with surprise when I realised how serious he was.

"You're absolutely correct, I look forward to doing future business with you." He kissed me on the cheek and I could tell the man in his late forties was getting his flirt on.