Chapter Twenty Six - It Ends Where It Began

He just smiled, "what can I do for you kiddo?"

"I...I need some information on someone. Dallas Hudson." He opened his mouth to say something but I cut him off. "Before you say you can't, know that I'm begging you...this man...this animal needs to be found. He's a darkness that plagued me since I was a child. You seem to know me, surly you know what I've been through. Losing my parents landed me in a hell that would make the devil himself quiver with fear. Dallas destroyed me then with his endless torture, life gave me a second chance and I did everything possible to bury those memories in the depth of my mind...now he's back. What he's done this time is unforgivable, unforgettable...breathing is a task for me knowing that he's out there, watching and waiting."

I placed a hand on the glass and looked the officer in his eyes. "I need proof...proof that he's alive, I need his criminal record...just anything you have. I need evidence that no one can argue, I need to finish this! He needs to be brought to justice! Not with a FIR that will take forever to lodge, not with an investigation but with proof that he's alive...because I guarantee the confession will follow." Without a word he left, disappearing behind the door Boyd had moments before.

Tears flooded from my eyes as I turned away, Darrel pulled me into his side. "I'm so sorry Charlie...maybe...maybe this is a sign that you should move on. Maybe this guy is dead-"

"This is all we have on Dallas, most of the files have been transferred. Theses were copied...it doesn't usually happen but maybe date was expecting you to come enquiring." Sniffling I shakily took the outstretched file from the officer. Pushing away from Darrel, frantically drying my cheeks I flicked through the manila folder reading every line carefully.

"I knew it."

"What? What's in it?" Darrel came to my side peering at the file.

"It couldn't have been Dallas that burnt down in that fire..." My stomach churned at the realisation, up until this report, up until undeniable evidence physically in my hand there was a slight chance that he was dead. "He was serving a two year sentence-"

"That boy had some serious problems." The officer added, as I flicked through the file.

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"Prison brawls on a daily basis, even solitary wasn't safe for him. I couldn't tell whether violence followed him or he followed violence. He landed in the infirmary several times, twice he barely made it out." If only I thought darkly.

"It says he was relocated. What happen after he served his sentence?"

"With enemies he made behind bars he had no choice." He shook his head.

"Where to?" I questioned desperately, prompting him to give me more...I needed more.

"That I can't say, on account of it would defeat the purpose of relocating him."

"Look I'm desperate. I need to know where he is! I know he's not dead because this file is proof of that! This man...Dallas he has more problems than you can even begin to imagine...he's after me again. He's sick and he has taken so much from me...my child...my child is gone and he's to blame...he killed my baby. Please...I need to know." I was crying and the officer was clearly torn.

"Charlie...I knew your father so seeing you like this makes me feel like I'm disrespecting him but I can't give you that information-"

"Please...please just help me. Do you think it's honourable to allow a killer to roam free? He killed my baby! My helpless little baby, before...before I could even bring him or her into this world! And now he's after me! Isn't it your job to help me?" He sighed, nodding his head in slight pain.