15

addy

"it's not too late to bail on the party, billie." i insist, as i walk out of my room, billie trailing shortly behind me.

"shushhhh! you already invited me you can't take it back now."

i laugh, "i'm not, i swear! it's just a dumb thing you'd probably hate."

"if you're there, i'm there."

"if you insist..." i say in a joking tone.

i quickly step down the stairs as i have every morning since arriving.

"hey mom?" my voice bounces slightly off the walls.

"what?" she says from the main room couch.

"is-" i get distracted by the many people in our house that usually aren't there, "who are these people?" i ask, approaching my mom.

"darling, mark decided it would be best to hire people to cook all the food for the party. as we've discussed it's going to be a laid-back gathering, so i insisted i cook, but he protested. a lovely man, he is."

i smile, "okay, uh, well i was just gonna tell you billies here, and we're going out for breakfast. see you later." i smile as billie follows me out the door.

"okay, bye sweetie!" she says, returning to her stressed position.

we get into billies car.

"she seems stressed." billie says.

"her parents are coming."

"i'm guessing they don't get along well?"

"yeah, not at all. they live here though, so it's not a hassle for them to come. they had this perfect image of a daughter in their minds, and my mom getting pregnant so young was not it so there's lots of tension between them."

"oh. sounds rough." billie says.

"it's fine, i rarely see them. only on some christmases and shit."

i notice billie not turning where she should be to get to breakfast, "wait, where the fuck are you going?" i laugh, nervously.

"change of plans."

"billie!"

"what?" she says, like she's oblivious to the fact it's 9 am and i'm starving.

"we're still eating, right?"

"yes, yes, don't worry. oh my god."

"where are we going though, for real."

"don't worry about it, baby." she says with a cheeky smile on her face.

i huff and sit back in my seat.

"play some music for real. this silence is cute and all but i need music." she says.

so i obey, as i usually do. this time i plug the aux into my phone and play one of my playlists. shuffling a shit ton of all my favorite music. nervous by the neighborhood starts playing.