25

addy

today my mom wanted to drop me off at school for whatever reason, but i told her i wanted to go with billie.

i open the front door, "i'm leaving for school!" i yell aimlessly back into the the house.

"out here" mom says, sitting in a wicker chair on the front porch. she smiles, a cigarette hanging between her lips. i walk into her suffocating cloud of smoke.

i look at her, she takes a hit of it, then stares back. she blows the smoke away from me, "have fun at school darling"

"those things are gonna fucking kill you." i tell her.

"audrey!" she yells, her voice tense and clearly upset with me. but i walk off angrily before she can scold me for giving her an insight of her what her future beholds any longer.

i see billies car at the end of the driveway as i get closer to it.

"hi baby" she smirks, and i hop in her car.

"hi billie" i respond, smiling at the ground. i don't know why, but seeing her face just makes me unable to control my facial expressions. it's so embarrassing sometimes. "you can barely tell" i say, pointing out her impressive job at covering the faint bruising on her face.

"good." she says, "you, uh, smell like cigarettes?" she points out, questioning me.

"of course i fucking do" i mumble angrily, "i'm so sorry, is it bad?" i ask her.

"no, just a little." she says.

"i swear to god" i say, my mood instantly shifting. i take my hoodie off and shove it in my bag.

"why do you?" she asks, carefully.

"alison" i say, blatantly.

she nods understandingly, "i like your shirt."

she was referring to a black mesh top i thrifted a while ago that i tied back into a crop top. i wore a black lace bralette under it and some long jean shorts from urban. it was always cold in school, and i'm insecure, so i decided to bring a hoodie but i guess that's out of the picture now.

"thank you." i respond.

"it's literally the first week of october" she laughs, before continuing to talk, "i think i have an extra hoodie in the back. just in case you get cold." she offers.

"that would actually be really nice" i say.

we pull into the schools parking lot. admittedly, we were a bit later than the average student would be so we had to park kind of far away from the main entrance.

"here you go" billie says, handing me her hoodie.

"thank you!" i exclaim gratefully, slipping it over my revealing top. not that it would have mattered, i've taken note of how lenient the school is with dress code. "i feel like only you could pull this off" i tell her.

"you calling my shit ugly?" she asks.

"nah, i'm just calling you hot."