eleven

I groggily opened my eyes at the alarm that went off on my bedside table. It was ironic to me that I was in a magical place and still had the same annoying beeping sound that I had in Barb's little apartment in New York City. I threw a pillow over my face and groaned.

I'd gone to bed about an hour after Malfoy, that time spent seething at the rumors he'd started. The idea of having to entertain questions all day, every day, when I was just trying simply to survive an unknown threat was beyond irritating, especially since I now knew that everything people thought of me here had come straight from the mouth of that insane blond boy. I was already exhausted and I'd just woken up.

Jenna, on the other hand, was pumped and ready to go when her alarm went off. I envied her energy on the cold morning and got out of bed to stand by the furnace. She came up next to me, holding her hands out towards the warm metal. "You look absolutely terrible."

"Thank you," I rolled my eyes. "I went to bed late last night."

"Oh? Was something wrong?"

I went on to tell her about what had happened in the common room and her mood dropped drastically.

"That ferret-arse can't keep his nose out of anyone's business," she growled. "I'm so sorry."

I shrugged in response and put on a black skirt and a white blouse. I had Jenna help me tie the tie for our uniform, as I'd never done it before. One of the other girls, Millicent Bulstrode, eyed me with a brow gracefully lifted. She put on a cardigan and her robes without looking away.

Jenna noticed and snapped, "What do you want?"

"Did you really get expelled from Ilvermorny?" she asked tentatively.

I rubbed a hand over my tired face before slipping my cardigan and robes on as well. "No, Bulstrode, I didn't." I tugged on my black socks and shoes before standing up and clipping my hair back from my face.

"I mean, it's a valid question," she said, tucking a strand of her black hair behind her ear. "There was loads of gossip in the washroom this morning, but no one had the balls to ask you themselves."

She was surprisingly timid and gentle when she spoke to me, though she was twice my size and could probably snap me in half. She'd mentioned she was in the Dueling Club and wrestled someone when we had gotten to know each other the night before. She seemed sweet enough, so I wasn't unkind when I answered her. "Don't believe everything you hear."

Jenna glared at Millicent as she pulled me out of the dormitory by the arm. "Let's go eat. I'm sure it'll lift your spirits at least a little."

It was going to be a long day.

---------------------------------------

"Okay, so your schedule is here on this parchment, and you'll probably get some of your textbooks in the classes. I don't actually know. If you weren't required to get it in Diagon Alley, then it'll be here." Jenna was talking fast and shoveling eggs into her mouth, a combination that made it hard for me to follow her train of thought. We had arrived in the Great Hall and she was giving me the rundown of what classes would be like that day.

I looked at the parchment.

AZALEA BECKETT: FIFTH YEAR

MONDAY

9:00: MUGGLE STUDIES - C. BURBAGE

10:15: BREAK

10:30: DEFENSE AGAINST THE DARK ARTS - D. UMBRIDGE

12:00: LUNCH

1:00: HERBOLOGY - P. SPROUT

2:15 BREAK