sixty

I met Theo in the corridor outside Slughorn's party venue. It brought back memories from the last time we'd been outside one of the Slug Club functions, and an uneasy knot formed in the pit of my stomach. But at Theo's beaming smile when he saw me, it loosened a little.

"You look great," he said, taking my hand and lightly brushing his lips against my knuckles.

I blushed. "Well, aren't you quite the gentleman."

He shrugged, grinning. "I dunno. I was watching an old Muggle movie the other day and saw them do that." When he realized what he had said, his eyes grew wide. "Do not tell anyone I said that."

I winked. "Your secret's safe with me." I had missed this old Theo, the Theo I'd met at the party last year. Easygoing and full of boyish fun. I liked the fact that there were no labels except friends at this party between him and me, especially not knowing where I stood with Draco. I looped my arm through his and we made our way inside the room.

Slughorn had really gone all out for the party. Sheer pale green curtains hung around the circular room creating a soft sort of atmosphere. They dipped in the middle before meeting in the center and held together by a lavish chandelier on which hundreds of little golden bells hung. He'd even gotten other students to act as wait staff for the event, the boys and girls decked out in crisp white uniforms and carrying silver trays. Holly was scattered on tables around cream-colored candles, the flames literally dancing around the wick. The firey ballerinas reminded me of the music box that Draco had given me last Christmas. I shook my head, desperate to push any thoughts that might interrupt the evening out of my mind.

I waved to Harry as I saw him walk in with Luna, who was decked out in a green dress that resembled a Christmas tree. The girl beamed at me in her dreamy sort of way, and the pair made their way over to us.

"How are you?" Harry asked me as Luna embraced me in a bone-crushing hug.

"I'm doing alright," I smiled, then remembered that Theo hardly knew the two DA members. "Harry, this is Theodore Nott. Theo, this is Harry Potter and Luna Lovegood."

Harry's eyes darkened slightly at the name, but the smile was still plain on his face. Theo didn't seem to notice as he shook the Gryffindor's hand. Luna was just about to say something when Neville walked over to us, his white button-down and gloves crisp and spotless. He carried a tray with what looked like champagne, but I couldn't be sure.

"Drink?" he asked breathlessly.

"Neville!" Harry exclaimed, a smile of recognition on his face.

The tall boy shifted back and forth from foot to foot. "I didn't get into the Slug Club," he said sheepishly. "It's okay though! He's got Belby hanging up towels in the loo. It's for extra credit."

"Well, I'm fine mate, thanks," Harry responded, gently waving Neville's drink offer away.

"Okay," the boy smiled, before carefully walking to the next party guest, making sure not to spill a single drop. Harry looked around, a huge smile on his face. I could tell he needed this more than ever right now.

I noticed a slight shift in the sheer curtains that hung around the room as a figure slipped behind them. "I'm gonna browse the snacks," I lied when I recognized the dress and curled hair, and slipped in after Hermione.

"'Mione!" I whispered as I snuck in after her. The poor girl was clutching her arms around her chest and her gaze darted left and right like a scared animal. "What are you doing? And what happened to you?"

She gasped when she noticed my presence and answered in the same hushed whisper. "Oh, I've just escaped," she scoffed and rolled her eyes, tucking a piece of hair behind her ear. "I mean, I left Cormac under the mistletoe."