forty-five

At the end of class, I gathered my things and was about to exit alone, since Jenna had to rush all the way across the castle for Ancient Runes. A hand caught mine and pulled me towards him.

"Hey, where did you go last night?" Theo asked, his eyebrows furrowed in concern.

"I wasn't feeling that great, so Jenna and I went to bed," I smiled at him to ease his worries. Not a total lie, but not a truth either. God, I was just like Malfoy.

"Oh, I'm sorry," he said, standing up. "Walk with me? I wanna ask you something."

He stood and held his hand out indicating he could carry my bag.

"You know, you don't always have to do that," I laughed.

"Always is a strong word, doll. I've done it only once," he chuckled. "But if you wanna carry it yourself, you can. I don't think you're incapable, I just want to give you the option."

I handed my bag to him, blushing, and nudged him with my shoulder gently. "Why aren't you in Hufflepuff? You're so nice."

"Because I'm very competitive, and I fight for what I want. Those pansies will back down if you look at them wrong."

"Hey," I said, shooting him a look. "My best friend's brother is a Hufflepuff, and he dueled Malfoy."

"Heard he apologized after," Theo smirked.

"And?" I asked, starting to get defensive.

"Sorry, you're right. They aren't pansies."

I side-eyed him but didn't say anything more.

"So what I wanted to ask you was if you're any good at flying," he said awkwardly, knowing he'd pissed me off.

"I'm amazing, why?" I was decent.

"Quidditch try-outs are next week, and I'm trying out, and I think you should too. We don't have many girls on the team, and I was hoping it could be something we could do together."

A smile grew on my face. "Of course, I'll try out. Just don't get mad when I make the team and you don't."

"Oh, is that how it is?" he laughed, shoving me gently to the side. "You're on Beckett."

I grinned mischievously. "Bring it, Nott."

Malfoy walked by Theo, slamming his shoulder into the brunette boy's. "I think I'm going to be fucking sick."

"Hey, mate, what's your problem?" Theo caught the blond by the arm, but Malfoy yanked free and began to walk away. Theo started after him. "Ay, I'm talking to you."

Before I could reach for my wand, or even blink, Malfoy whirled around and snarled, "Stupefy!"

Theo flew backward and hit the ground, unmoving. Malfoy stormed towards me. "Him?" he hissed. "You could have chosen anyone, and you chose him?"

"Is he going to be okay?" I retorted.

"He'll wake up in a few minutes, so you have that much time to explain to me why you're fucking my best friend."

"Your best friend?" I shouted incredulously. "If he's your best friend, then why does he hate you? And why do you assume that when I'm talking to a guy, I'm fucking him too?"

Malfoy's jaw tensed. "Aren't you together?"

"I haven't decided." I was taunting him, but I didn't care. He could stay on the edge of his seat. I liked him not knowing everything about me. "And how dare you assume I give myself up that easily. I haven't yet, and I don't plan to."