forty-eight

"Happy birthday, Azalea, darling!" Luna called as she skipped down the hallway. "I heard some of the others talking about it. I told Hermione, and she's planning something for you later!"

"Thanks, Luna."

She stopped next to me. "Are you okay?"

I tried my best to smile, but it soured into a grimace.

"You don't have to hide it for me, silly. Your feelings are important." She put her arm around me. "Come on. I'll give you your present early. But you can't tell anyone I took you to the Ravenclaw common room. Ravenclaws are a little uptight about their spaces." She winked, and let me towards Ravenclaw Tower.

We walked up a set of tightly coiled spiral staircases to the top of the tower. When we arrived in front of a tall, narrow door, the lion door-knocker came to life with a deep sigh.

"Which came first, the phoenix or the flame?" it boomed in a voice much louder than expected.

"Neither, a circle has no beginning," Luna recited confidently.

I didn't think a door knocker could roll its eyes and look disappointed, but it did. "Fine, go on in."

Luna took my hand and led me down the skinny hallway that opened into a round room with a navy and gold oriental rug splayed out on the ground. Floor-to-ceiling bookshelves lined the wall in a semi-circle, the other side of the room full of tables with sextants, globes, and abacuses on them. It was a scholar's paradise. They too had a fireplace, but it was smaller. The couches and chairs that were nestled around the room were made of soft material and strewn with gold and navy pillows. Edison bulbs hung from the ceiling around the room and varying heights.

"Wait here," Luna said. "I'll get your present from my dorm. Make yourself at home!" She skipped down a hallway to the right.

I took a seat at one of the tables in front of an atlas that was open to a map of Europe. The map was titled Major Dragon Sighting Areas. I perused the map, looking at the different species that could be found around the continent when I heard someone enter the room.

"Azalea? What are you doing here?"

I looked up to see Ashton carrying five or so books, gently pushing her glasses up further on the bridge of her nose.

"Oh, I...well, you see..."

"She's with me," Luna smiled at the blonde girl as she came back into the room.

"You really shouldn't be here," Ashton muttered as she set the books down on the table I was at a little harder than necessary.

"I'm sorry, I was just--"

"She came at my invitation, and we were just leaving," Luna said, as close to snapping as the gentle girl could come. "It's her birthday, by the way. You don't have to be so rude."

"She's not what she seems," Ashton hissed, storming away.

"She's exactly what she seems," Luna yelled, a fire burning in her eyes I'd never seen before. "She fought You-Know-Who at the Ministry after someone she cared about was murdered. So whatever you think she is, I think a better word would be the bravest badass you'll ever have the pleasure--no, privilege, of knowing!"

"I refuse to trust someone with so many secrets."

With that, Ashton turned down the hallway out of sight.

"Well!" Luna exclaimed, her eyebrows furrowed. "I never!" It was adorable how much of an old woman she seemed to be when she spoke. I loved Luna. "Come on," she said, obviously flustered at the exchange. "Let's go open your present somewhere more pleasant."