fifty-five

"I swear to Merlin you are the slowest person I have ever laid eyes on dear God," Jenna complained as we walked through the main street in Hogsmeade. A light snow covered the ground and flakes hung in the air before settling on our hair and clothes.

"Calm down, woman," I rolled my eyes. "I've never been here before, and I'm taking in the sights."

"Can you take in the sights after we meet Ethan in the Three Broomsticks?" she grabbed my wrist and began to pull me towards the door of the pub.

Hogsmeade was an adorable little town, with slanted roofs and snow-capped gables that jutted from the buildings. The narrow street was peppered with students, some in their robes and some in casual clothes, all bustling back and forth from the village to the castle. I was glad I finally got to see it since I hadn't the year before. The parental permission slip had been a little hard to take care of. But an Invisibility Cloak and magic snowshoes that Ethan had been given for his birthday--the kind that doesn't make a single track--had been helpful to get out of the castle.

The Three Broomsticks sat along the walkway not far from the Hogsmeade welcome sign and was marked with a logo from which I'm sure the name was derived: three brooms crossing at the hilt, a stag's antlers mounted above the sign. The bar was cozy, and Jenna found a table near the back by the crackling fire where Ethan was already lounging, drinking something golden and frothy.

"I'll get us some butterbeer, you sit with Ethan," she demanded before tossing her scarf and coat on a chair and disappearing.

"How you holding up?" the raven-haired boy asked. 

I sighed and rubbed my temples. "Okay," I shrugged.

He tilted his head to one side, my answer clearly not good enough for him. "And you expect me to believe that?"

I hated how well he knew me. "No," I mumbled. "It just seems like everyone has an agenda, you know?" I'd told Jenna about what had happened with Theo, and had to practically hold her down so she wouldn't go beat up the brunette on the spot.

"Why is Voldemort so fucking interested in your love life?" she fumed. "Why can't he let you be a normal teenager and maybe send an owl like a regular person?"

"Maybe because he's not a regular person," I had said, smiling sadly. "I'm just glad I didn't choose him over Draco."

Ethan shook his head and swirled what was left of his drink in the cup. "I know. I'm truly sorry, Azalea."

"You have nothing to be sorry about, Ethan. You didn't do anything. You're one of the only people that haven't."

Jenna came back and set one of the golden drinks down in front of me before taking her seat to my right. "Does this have actual alcohol in it?" I asked skeptically.

"Barely any," she sighed, chuckling. "You'd have to drink a shit ton to even feel a buzz. It's mostly butterscotch. Try it."

I took a sip, and the liquid made my tastebuds come alive with the sweetness. "I will be getting another one of these before we leave," I said in awe. The siblings laughed.

Out of the corner of my eye, I caught Harry, Ron, and Hermione sitting together at a table, Ron's face contorted in disgust and Harry looking highly uncomfortable. I couldn't see the girl's face as her back was to me, but when I followed their eyes, I saw Ginny openly making out with Dean in a booth. Jenna noticed too, her eyebrows raising. "Damn, Weasley's got a boy toy."

"She's been talking to him since the summer," I grinned. "She kicked me out of our room a few times so they could talk about 'private things'."

"Ew," giggled Jenna.