fifty-two

I walked by the Room of Requirement, begging it for a place to hide. I would have asked for my old apartment, but it would only make the wounds on my heart sting worse after yet another betrayal from Dumbledore.

When I opened the door, I was in a large bedroom I didn't recognize. The far wall was one big window with a sliding door that led out onto a balcony overlooking a forest of green pine trees. A tall mirror stood in the corner by a walk-in closet that nestled itself into the corner perfectly. The matte black walls made the white accent lamps look vibrant as they sat on the bedside table. It was a minimalist room, but comfortable.

The king-size mattress was draped with a dark green comforter and silk sheets the same color. There was no canopy, like my bed in the dorm, only short square posts of black wood the same color as the bed frame and walls that were elevated about a foot above the mattress. A black and white abstract painting hung on the wall directly across from the bed. There was even a bathroom near the door to the castle. You've outdone yourself this time, Room.

I took off my robe and hurled it across the room with a scream of rage. I knew the saying. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. And Dumbledore had fooled me twice. Twice he'd lured me into a false sense of security that I was somehow safe at this school, and twice he'd done something that required my consent yet he hadn't asked for it. Once with my foster parents, and now with my real ones. He'd pay for sticking his crooked nose in my family's business.

I ran my hands up into my hair before letting my arms drop to my sides and falling backward on the bed with a small bounce. I stared up at the ceiling, trying to take deep breaths like Ethan had told me to do, but with each breath, more anger bubbled up inside of me. I rolled over on my side, facing the windows, deep in thought. How was I going to show my face in this god-forsaken school? I still had Slughorn's dinner. And I'd become the most hated person here.

"What are you doing here?"

I nearly jumped out of my skin, rolling over and standing up to see who'd caught me in the Room of Requirement. My mouth dropped open at the sight of Malfoy, hair still wet and a white towel wrapped around his waist, walking out of the tiny bathroom.

I took in his pale shoulders, chest, and abs, my eyes running along his body in ways I wished my hands could. His chiseled figure and muscles drew a gasp from my lips and he smirked. His expression faltered when my eyes found the Dark Mark but gained reassurance when I said nothing about it, my eyes sliding up his body to meet his gaze.

"God, Azalea, it's like you've never seen a man before." He tugged at the towel and I quickly whirled around, blushing profusely. "You can look now," he drawled sarcastically, and I was relieved to see him clad in sweatpants and a black tee when he came back into view. He shook his head, still smirking. "Idiot."

I smiled sheepishly. "Sorry, I just hadn't expected...that."

"How did you even get here?" he asked again, crossing his arms. "You're not doing a very good job of staying away from me."

"I didn't plan for this to happen," I snapped, rolling my eyes. "I asked the Room for somewhere safe and comfortable to hide from my problems and calm down and it brought me to..."

"It brought you to me."

"Okay," I said, disdain dripping from my tone. "Let's not get cocky."

He shook his head. "It's like the castle won't let me stay away from you," he said, more to himself than me.

"Is this your room?" I ask, trying to change the subject. "At home, I mean."

"No, actually. My room in the Manor is very dim and dark. I like the openness of nature, so I asked the Room of Requirement to take me here and it's been mine ever since. I've added some decorations, but for the most part, it's what it built for me."