fifty-four

"Oi, Azalea," Jenna sprang up when I came into the dorm room. "Did you actually read the book Malfoy gave you with that section on rhabdomancy?"

"No, I haven't really gotten around to it, I was too busy spending the night in the Room of Requirement with him," I smirked as I said it and her mouth fell open.

"Bloody hell!" she shrieked. "Wait, was that your first?"

I nodded and she shrieked again before getting comically serious. "Okay, but how was it? How big was he? What was it like? Tell me everything."

I laughed, sitting down with her on the bed. "It was amazing. And he was--" I held my hands apart to estimate his size and she put a hand to her forehead and pretended to faint back onto her pillow. "Merlin's beard, I would simply pass away."

"I'm sure Miles Bletchley is working with the same thing," I teased and she smacked my arm lightly. "What did you have to tell me?" I asked, changing the subject.

"Oh, right. So this book talks about how people have recorded the stealing and returning process that happens when the rhabdomaniac is severely stressed, upset, anxious, sad, or angry. It doesn't come around when someone is happy, since it's dark magic and all that. There are no records of how to actually control it, but that's what it says. So maybe like the Patronus, but you have to think of a sad memory, or channel your stress when you try."

So Malfoy was right, even all that time ago with Pansy. "Thank you for researching," I said. I grabbed her face and pulled her to me, kissing her forehead. "I love you. Now, can you help me pick out a dress for this stupid dinner? Theo is waiting downstairs."

"Theo? Yikes. You gonna tell him?"

"Hell no. Could you imagine?" I scoffed. "I thought I would feel bad, but he's been acting so strange since he found out I'm a Riddle. He's constantly in awe of Voldemort and it scares me."

"Hm," she mused, tapping her chin with her finger. "Be careful. You don't have a great taste in men."

"Jenna," I scolded.

"Hey, at least Malfoy has a big dick."

"Jenna!"

"Kidding," she laughed. "Well, I'm not, but go get ready you're going to be late."

-------------

"You look so sexy," Theo whispered in my ear as we walked down the hallway towards Slughorn's office.

"Thanks," I said, though I was beginning to cringe when he called me that. The way he stood up for Flint's harassment didn't bode well for how he might treat me. But I had told him I would go with him to this dinner, so I tried to smile a little bit.

"Are you okay? That usually knocks you off your feet." He put his arm in front of me to stop my forward momentum.

"Yeah, I'm just stressed." I turned to look at him. "I don't really want to go to this party, but here we are."

"But you're with me," he grinned. "so that should make it all better."

I forced a laugh, a small bit of guilt coming back. "Yeah."

His demeanor faded. "Look, is this about earlier? Because I said I was sorry."

"No, you actually didn't."

"Oh," He said, starting to walk again. "Then I'm sorry."

"It's fine, Theo, just drop it."

We came to Slughorn's door and I knocked.