forty-nine

It was clear from the look on Ashton's face that she had never been in trouble before, let alone called to the Headmaster's office. I didn't feel weird about it at all since I'd been there a few times, but the girl was almost shaking. I thought about comforting her, but honestly, the scare would do her some good.

When we'd all stepped into the chaotic tower room, the old man slammed the door shut and stormed up to his throne-like chair behind his desk. Taking a deep breath, probably to keep him from shouting, he stared at Ashton with piercing blue eyes. "You placed some very hefty accusations on Miss Beckett today, Miss Geller."

Ashton's face went from pale to beat red as the color swirled in and out of her complexion. "Sir, do you know who she is?"

"Of course I know who she is, child, I brought her here. I obviously wasn't sure she was Voldemort's daughter, but it was a suspicion I had and that made it all the more important for her to come to Hogwarts so that she could be protected. I've known almost everything about her since before she arrived, but some things she had to figure out on her own. And likewise, I had to put some pieces together." He interlaced his fingers and leaned forward on his desk. "The question is, Miss Geller, why did you take it upon yourself to dig into something that you clearly know nothing about, all while undermining my authority of Headmaster to protect this school and the students and faculty that reside here? Why did you feel the need to stick your nose into something that, quite frankly, didn't concern you?"

The blonde girl pushed her glasses up farther on her nose, glaring at the ground. "Forgive me, Headmaster, but for someone who says that Hogwarts is the safest place in the world, why do we seem to have a break-in or serious injuries every single year?  Hell, someone even died on your watch sir, respectfully. My bad for wanting to stay safe."

I shuffled my feet, hands clasped behind my back. I wouldn't admit it out loud, but Ashton was right. I'd heard about what'd happened to Harry every single school year. Granted, it was his battle that unfortunately, the rest of the student body kept getting caught up in. But for someplace that was supposed to offer serenity and peace, it was sure rocked by hardship quite a bit.

Dumbledore's face softened. "I can understand your drive to keep your loved ones safe whilst here at Hogwarts, but when you research something such as Dark Magic, Horcruxes in particular, you must come to me. Do you understand? Especially since I am studying the same thing."

Ashton nodded. "Yes, sir," she said stiffly.

"You may proceed to your next class," the man said, peering over his half-moon glasses. "And Miss Geller? This stays between the three of us. There are only three people who know about Azalea's origins, and two of them are standing in this room. If I find out that you've been sharing the information, we will be discussing the terms of your expulsion."

Her eyes widened, and she froze before glowering at me and taking her leave.

"Expulsion? Seems a bit harsh."

Dumbledore shrugged. "It was effective."

"You do that a lot, sir," I pointed out. His eyebrows raised, offering for me to continue. "Doing things to get a result. 'Ends justify the means' and all that."

He waved his hand nonchalantly. "In this battle, there are no set rules. There are good and bad, lines you should not cross. But as for a little secret-keeping, that is a harmless threat. What do you suppose would happen if the Wizarding community found out who you really are?" He stood, coming out from behind his desk. "You think that Muggles are the only ones who attack threats with torches and pitchforks. If they find out, dear, the torches and pitchforks will soon follow."