Chapter 8 ~ Eventful Night

Later that night, the four of them sat in the living room. Kaito, Maki, and Shuichi were on the couch, glancing every now and then at Kokichi, who sat away from them on the floor. Kiibo hadn't been answering any of their calls, which was starting to worry them. They still have no idea what that whole thing was about and if they might have killed Kiibo. No one wanted to believe that, him being harder to kill since he is a robot. But things weren't looking good.

Kokichi mostly stared at the floor, not wanting to look up at who was in the house. He just wanted them to leave already. His anxiety was worse as it was without them talking about how the only person he felt safe around went missing. Part of him was also angry that their conversation had been interrupted. Though he isn't sure if he would've been able to go through with it, he really wished he was anywhere but here right now. The thought starting to scare him. He quickly looked over at Kaito, as if he would have somehow read his thoughts and been furious. However, Kaito was turned away from him, trying to call Kiibo for the tenth time. 

"Voicemail again," he said, letting out an annoyed sigh. "Should we go out and look for him?"

"How," Maki asked. "We don't have a lead like Himiko. No one has said anything about seeing him..."

"Then I don't know what to do!"

Kokichi flinched at the yelling, trying to scoot back further against the wall.

"Kaito," Maki hissed, trying not to raise her voice.

Kaito sighed, shaking his head. "I can't help it. This has me on edgy."

"We are all on edgy. Especially Kokichi."

The two went silent for a second, looking over at the shaking male. Maki eventually turned around and grabbed Shuichi's arm, pulling him off the couch and towards the door. 

"We should probably get going. There isn't anything we can do right now."

"Wait," Kaito yelled. "You're just going to give up?"

"No! We are going to wait until morning to figure this all out. It is pitch black out there so we can't even go look for him. We can try tomorrow morning."

He huffed. "Fine. Whatever."

The two left the house, leaving Kaito standing in the middle of the room, looking pissed. He waited a couple seconds before punching the wall in anger, terrifying Kokichi into letting out a scream. Kaito froze, having forgotten about Kokichi, who continued to scream and beg.

"Hey wait," he said, trying to calm him down. "Shit. I'm sorry." 

He went over to Kokichi, holding his hands up to show he didn't have a weapon. He just sat next to him, saying everything was okay. Honestly, he wasn't sure if this was helping anything, but it was all he could do. Kokichi's screams eventually turned into silent crying, as he curled up in a ball. Kaito sighed, reaching out a hand to him. This caused Kokichi to flinch, making Kaito move him hand away. Kaito decided to try waiting this out, giving a look of pity at him.

After a few more minutes of crying, Kokichi eventually passed out, going almost completely quiet. Kaito let out a sigh of relief, slowly picking Kokichi up and bringing him to bed. He quick put Kokichi under the blankets and then walked out, deciding it would be better if he slept on the couch tonight.

...

Hours passed, Kaito staring up at the ceiling. He was having issues falling asleep, the couch hurting his back. But he wasn't going to bother trying to get into the bed. He knew he'd fall asleep eventually if he tried hard enough, just wanting some space from Kokichi. Honestly, this time of quiet made him realize how much he wanted to just be alone. Ever since they left the killing game, he hasn't got a real chance to breathe. Everyday was just a constant battle of keeping Kokichi calm and trying to help him get better. But he never did. If anything, it felt like he was getting worse. And he despised the look of fear on his face. He couldn't stand being looked at as some monster when he doesn't even have the memories Kokichi does. And with Kiibo missing and people mysteriously breaking into his house, it was all becoming exhausting.

He wanted to punch something, holding himself back as to not risk waking Kokichi up. The last thing he needed was to scare Kokichi again and have to hear his crying. He couldn't believe he was saying this, but he missed the old Kokichi. The old Kokichi's tears were never real and lasted seconds. He didn't look at Kaito as a monster, just an annoyance. He didn't cling to Kaito like his life depended on it. In fact, old Kokichi mostly kept his distance. Even though the two never got along, he just wanted Kokichi to be normal again. What he would give to see that childish but evil smile again. Especially after finding out he was never actually evil but putting on an act. That would be much easier to deal with than all of this.

He sighed, turning over on the couch to try to get comfy, even though he knew it wasn't going to happen. Closing his eyes, he tried to think of the stars and how much he use to want to go up there. Though his dreams are definitely crushed now, it wouldn't stop him from wishing for it. Just as he was starting to relax, an ear piercing scream and a loud thud came from the room. His eyes shot open, him jumping off the couch and rushing to the room. 

He opened the door to see a figure sitting above Kokichi on the floor, holding something above Kokichi's head. He immiedately reacted, determined not to let this one get away this time. He tackled the person, suddenly feeling a stab in his arm. He yelped, trying his best not to lose his grip. The person managed to kick their way out, a few things falling out of their bag as they grabbed it and ran. They jumped out the window.

"Kaito," Kokichi yelled, running over to the light switch and turning it on. 

Kaito saw a tiny pocket knife sitting in his arm, glad it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. Kokichi gasped, running off and looking through their medical cabinet. He searched through a bunch of empty pill bottles, grabbing only what he needed to help with the wound. He tried to help Kaito but was too shaky, leaving Kaito to figure it out himself. As he was disinfecting the wound, he saw a few things on the floor. There were a couple more knives, along with a flashback light. His eyes widened as he began bandaging the wound fast. The second he was done, he got moving.

Kokichi had yet to notice anything, confused on why Kaito was suddenly panicking and grabbing clothes. Kaito threw a few clothes into a bag, not saying anything the whole time. Kokichi tried calling out to him, now getting really scared. But no response came. Instead, Kaito zipped up the bag and grabbed Kokichi, dragging him to the car. By now, Kokichi was shouting his name, pleading for some type of answer. Kaito continued being silent, starting the car and driving off fast.

Kokichi stopped calling out to him eventually, struggling not to cry through the scary situation. He just wanted to know what was happening and where they were going. And why. Almost an hour went by when they finally stopped at a house. Kokichi didn't recognize it, deciding to try one more time to ask Kaito what was happening. Again, nothing.

Kaito got out of the car, grabbing the bag and once again dragging Kokichi. He went up to the door, knocking. Despite the time, the lights were on. As they heard footsteps approaching the door, Kaito booked it back to the car, getting in and driving off.

Kokichi stared back at him, eyes wide and scared. His breathing picked up, mind trying to make sense of the situation. The door behind him opened, causing him to jump.

"Kokichi," Maki asked, confusion evident in her face.