Chapter 22 ~ Forcing Trust

Kokichi was in the back seat, Maki's head in his lap as he held a cloth tightly against her head wound, trying to slow down the bleeding. Every other minute he would check her pulse, his heart stopping each time in fear of losing her. Fortunately, her pulse never stopped. And though his clothes were now stained with blood, it did seem the bleeding wasn't as bad as before. Still, he couldn't calm down. Maki being injured aside, the rest of his surroundings were nerve racking.

For one, Kaito was in the car. Sure, it was the trunk, as well as tied up. But he couldn't help but be terrified that he might wake up and somehow kill Kokichi through the seats. Second, Shuichi was also in the car. Part of him had calmed down a bit about Shuichi, seeing Shuichi show genuine concern for Maki dying. But he was on guard, nonetheless. Third, Kiibo was also in the car. Though Kiibo wouldn't hurt Kokichi, he still wasn't mentally stable. For all Kokichi knew, they could drop the three off somewhere random and then make off with Kokichi. He couldn't put it past Kiibo at this point. And finally, he had no idea where they were going. Though he was vaguely told of an organization, he couldn't trust it coming from Shuichi's mouth. This could be a trick to take them back to Team Danganronpa and finish what Shuichi tried doing there a week ago.

But there was nothing he could do about any of this. These were the only people he had left in his life. In a way, the only people he could trust, even if he didn't trust them. Besides, knowing them, they'd hunt him down anyways. So, what was even the reason for running anymore? He couldn't even cry at that statement, his emotions starting to go numb the more he looked at Maki. He decided that no matter what, he'd stick around just for Maki. He needed to make sure that she was okay and that these psychos wouldn't hurt her more. As well as make sure Kaito can't come after him again. While being held hostage under some sick love was terrifying, being killed was even worse. He was starting to take hanging with Shuichi into consideration if Kaito became too much of a problem. And that's how he knew he was losing it. He didn't even see a purpose to keep his sanity at this point. He just needed to survive and end this nonsense.

Eventually, the car came to a stop, Kokichi's head shooting up to stare out the windshield. There stood a giant white building, all its windows tinted so it is hard to see inside. Part of him was relieved it wasn't the Team Danganronpa building, the other part of him was terrified from not recognizing the place.

"You are sure this is the right place," Kiibo asked.

"Yes," Shuichi responded. "They'll explain everything better. Now, help me get Maki in there. We can have them get Kaito for us."

As Shuichi got out of the car and opened Kokichi's door, Kokichi shook as he pulled Maki closer to himself. Shuichi sighed at the sight, having no energy to fight through this.

"Kokichi, would you prefer helping Kiibo carry her in?"

Kokichi immediately nodded, not fully comprehending the task he was agreeing to. As Kiibo helped the two get out, Maki's weight became apparent to Kokichi, almost dropping her. Shuichi was here to help him gain balance, Kokichi tensing up while trying to remain hold and not run away. Eventually, the three were able to get her to the door. Shuichi had to press a buzzer to get it to open, stating his name along with who he had with him. A camera pulled out of a secret patch in the wall, staring at the four. Kokichi raised an eyebrow at this, questioning if this was even reality anymore. The doors slide open, the four walking in before immediately being surrounded by a few people. Kokichi began to go into fight or flight mode, holding Maki tighter. But Kiibo assured him that it would be fine, convincing Kokichi to let the people take Maki away. The three followed quickly behind, walking into a room and seeing them immediately try to treat Maki's wounds.

Kokichi began to dissociate, only focusing on Maki and not hearing anything that was going on around him. A few employees tried to ask him questions, but he didn't even notice. Sighing, Kiibo carefully picked Kokichi up, finally snapping Kokichi out of it. Before Kokichi could panic, Kiibo immediately explained that he was simply putting Kokichi on a bed, wanting him to rest a bit while he processed everything. Despite being hesitant to accept his surroundings and situation, he didn't fight back and stayed on the bed as Kiibo went back to the others. He once again went back to staring at Maki, relieved to see these people actually knew what they were doing. It wasn't long till they got her stable, leaving her hooked up to a heart monitor while they ran a few tests.