Chapter 12 ~ A Safe Place

Kokichi covered his mouth and tried to calm his breathing, listening closely to Shuichi's footsteps. Shuichi continued to call out to Maki, then Kokichi, searching around the house in confusion. Kokichi was trying his best to remain still, praying in his head that Shuichi wouldn't find him. Along with that, he tried to think of a way out of this. He wasn't sure if he'd be able to stay hidden behind the couch the whole time and questioned if Shuichi would look there. For now, it sounded like Shuichi was just walking room to room, meaning he may stop soon. Still, staying in that spot didn't sound like a good idea. 

Slowly, he peaked his head out from behind the couch, not hearing or seeing Shuichi in the room. Trying his best to be quiet, he tiptoed across the room and headed towards the door. About halfway across the room, Shuichi walked in, pausing for a second and watching Kokichi, who froze. Kokichi ran towards the door, Shuichi quickly behind him. As Kokichi began to open the door, Shuichi immediately shut it, causing Kokichi to scream.

"Shit," Shuichi mumbled, flinching at the scream. "Calm down. I just want to know what's going on. Where is Maki?"

Kokichi stumbled backwards, tripping and falling to the ground. He crawled back, staring up at Shuichi in fear. Shuichi gave a pained look, hating seeing Kokichi like this. He put his hands up slowly, backing up as well to give Kokichi space in hopes it would calm him. 

"Hey, I'm not going to do anything to you. I promise. Please, just tell me where Maki is."

"I-I don't know," Kokichi said, continuing to scoot back. "She l-left."

"Left? Why?"

"She got a c-call but didn't say w-what."

Shuichi sighed, mumbling, "But why would she leave you with me?"

Kokichi slowly began getting up, Shuichi trying his best to remain still as to not scare Kokichi further. When Kokichi didn't run, he took a step forward. This triggered Kokichi back into fear and he bolted to the kitchen. Shuichi didn't follow, allowing Kokichi to create distance. However, as he sat down on the couch, he immediately jumped back up at the sound of the back door opening and shutting. Rushing back there, Kokichi was nowhere in sight.

Kokichi was running as fast as he could to get away from the house. The house was around a couple others in a neighborhood. The back was fenced in, meaning he had to jump the fence to get away. He didn't know where he was going but figured anywhere was safer than that house. Occasionally, he'd look back, making sure Shuichi wasn't following him. With all the turns he took around the houses, he was certain he was safe, beginning to slow down. Finding the main road, he walked along the sidewalk and debated on what to do next. Being out in day light where anyone could see him and get him scared him deeply. But the house wasn't an option at this point. And he had no idea how to get back to his actual home.

A couple cars drove past, each one Kokichi looked to in hopes it was Maki. They never were. Though, as another car passed, it soon came to a stop, before backing up back to Kokichi. This made him tense, backing up and ready to start running. But a voice stopped him.

"Kokichi," the familiar voice asked.

He turned to look at the person, now able to see who it was clearly.

"Kiibo," he cheered. "You f-found me?"

"I guess? I was told to come pick you up because you were alone with Shuichi. Are you okay? What are you doing out here by yourself?"

"S-Shuichi came at me. I needed to r-run!" 

Kiibo was silent for a second, giving a sad look, before nodding his head. "Alright. Well, everything's okay now. Get in. You're staying at my place for now on."