Chapter 19 ~ Surprisingly Peaceful

Kokichi laid in the bed Kiibo provided him, staring up at the ceiling. He could vaguely hear Kiibo cooking in the kitchen, patiently waiting for Kiibo's return. Stretching, the chains attached to the cuffs around both of his wrist clinked. The chains were attached to a bedframe. They allowed some movement, so that he could feed himself or participate in any activities Kiibo would present him such as drawing or board games. Honestly speaking, though it was a bit boring, it wasn't as bad as he thought it would be. Kiibo honored his word on never hurting Kokichi, instead making sure Kokichi was comfortable and entertained. Not used to this treatment from a kidnapper, it weirded him out some. But he couldn't deny it was nice not feeling in danger. The only thing that would make this better would be if Kiibo uncuffed him. But Kiibo insisted he couldn't trust Kokichi yet, worried Kokichi would run at the first opportunity. The other thing that would make this better is the nightmares going away. Despite the safer environment, the nightmares didn't stop.

It was funny, really. The few moments Kiibo would leave the house to go to the store, Kokichi would lock pick the cuffs and wander the house. Though he could've ran away a few times this week, he had no idea where they were. He would look out the windows and see they were surrounded by trees. This wasn't the house Kiibo took him to before, Kiibo explaining this was a temporary house since everyone knew where his old one was. Though, he was working on a way to get the two out of the country. The thought scared Kokichi. Once out of the country, it would be really hard to get back in and find Maki. While he would like to get away from all of this, he didn't want to leave Maki behind to clean up this mess alone. Still, he wasn't brave enough to try traveling these woods alone until he found society. Even then, who's to say some weirdo wouldn't kidnap him before he could contact Maki. He didn't even have a way to contact her if he was given a phone. All he could do was wait. Speaking of, he was beginning to worry if anyone would find them. He was certain Maki or Shuichi would've hunted him down by now. This had felt like the longest week of him waiting for Maki to come save him.

Don't get him wrong, he wasn't just sitting here being completely useless. He did grab a knife and hid it in the back of the bed under the mattress. Kiibo was suspicious when he couldn't find it but Kokichi was still in his cuffs, so he let it go and assumed he forgot where he put it. Kokichi was honestly surprised that worked but was thankful nonetheless, since there weren't any better weapons around. 

Footsteps could be heard heading his direction, making him sit up and face the door. Kiibo opened the door holding a bowl of ramen, Kokichi smiling at him. Despite the circumstances, he did trust Kiibo enough to eat the food without worry. There was no reason for Kiibo to try drugging him again since he was still in the cuffs and agreeing to go wherever Kiibo wanted. And Kiibo hadn't tried anything frightening since getting here. He'd be lying to say he wasn't somewhat adjusting, even if part of him did prefer leaving to help Maki take down Team Danganronpa.

Kiibo sat next to him, handing him the bowl. Kokichi wasted no time eating it, feeling Kiibo run his hand through his hair. He did still tense a bit at physical contact but was using this time to work on it, needing to make the most of the situation.

"You know, I'm surprised by how well you are taking all of this," Kiibo said. "I mean, I knew you'd be happier like this. But you were putting up such a fight before. I'm glad you've calmed down."

Kokichi nodded his head, replying, "I-I guess I just needed some time. I haven't exactly h-had good experiences with being k-kidnapped."

Kiibo frowned at the word. "I told you, this isn't a kidnapping. You came with me willingly."

Kokichi struggled not to roll his eyes. Willingly isn't quiet what he'd call it. Either way he'd end up here and didn't have a say, he just agreed so he wouldn't be knocked out. But he wouldn't ever voice that opinion to Kiibo, worried how he might respond. "Still. My l-life hasn't been the best..."