Chapter 4 ~ A Rough Morning

Kokichi stared off the roof top of a building, looking out at the pixelated snow. There wasn't much of a sight to behold but what else did he have to do while waiting for fate to come. He had a meeting with someone he dispised with a passion, and today he would repay a favor to everything she has ever done. He couldn't quite remember what those things were but didn't question his own memories. The door creaked open from behind him, causing him to turn around to face whoever it was. To his surprise, it wasn't who he was expecting. Instead, it was a girl with dark brown hair with a hint of green in two long pigtails down her back. He recognized her, though she seemed different than normal. Her outfit was changed and instead of a disgusted attitude towards him, she seemed concerned.

Kokichi tilted his head, interested in what was going on. She took a couple steps towards him before a figure appeared from behind, Kokichi's eyes widening in realization of what was about to happen. As toilet paper was wrapped around her neck, Kokichi sprung forward, yelling at the mysterious figure to stop. His cries went unheard, the figure's face devode of any emotion. It wasn't long before the girl's body went stiff, the figure releasing the toilet paper and allowing the girl to fall to the ground. Kokichi stopped breathing, shaking his head in disbelief. This wasn't suppose to happen.

Time moved quickly as her body was pushed off the roof and toilet paper collected. The whole time Kokichi stood in one place, staring down at the ground. Unknowing to him, the figure was now behind him, toilet paper stretched out and ready to claim another victim. As the toilet paper entered his field of vision, all the air was ripped out of him, world pixelating into black.

Kokichi awoke with a scream, looking around his surroundings in confusion. Remembering reality, he begun to calm down, looking over at the person next to him. Kaito had still been cuddling him, somehow sleeping through all the screaming. In a way, Kokichi was relieved. The last thing Kaito needed was to be woken up again by one of Kokichi's nightmares. This lead to remembering the night from before, and who might still be in the house.

Carefully getting out of bed without waking Kaito, he cautiously walked into the living room, surprised to see Maki already up and typing on her phone. He debated on saying something or not, wanting to apologize for what happened last night. Before he even got a chance to, Maki turned to look at him, an unimpressed look on her face.

"Do you wanna die," she asked.

"W-What," Kokichi whimpered, taking a step back and ready to get Kaito.

She stared at him for a couple seconds before turning back to her phone. "I thought you were going to attack me again."

"Oh... N-No... I'm sorry."

She didn't respond, continuing to scroll through her phone. Unsure what to do, Kokichi slowly walked over to her and sat beside her on the couch. He earned a glance, nothing more as the phone had Maki's full attention. The silence was killing Kokichi but he didn't know what else to do. The last thing he wanted to do was take a chance at waking Kaito up and him being mad. The thought scared him, already causing him to shake. Maki immediatlly noticed this, turning to look at Kokichi.

"When is the last time you've left the house," she asked.

Kokichi was shocked by the question, jumping slightly. "Um... I went on the roof top with-"

"No. I mean actually left and went somewhere."

He thought about it for a second before shaking his head. "I don't remember. W-Why?"

She sighed. "Would you like to leave for a bit? I have some things I need to do and you look like you could use some fresh air."

Kokichi's eyes widened as he quickly shook his head, standing up and backing away. "N-No. No! He will be m-mad!"

"This isn't the old Kaito. He won't care and could actually use a break."

The two stared at each other, Kokichi still shaking his head and shaking. Rolling her eyes, Maki went back to her phone.

"Why do you stay with him if you're so scared of him?"

"I... Isn't it o-obvious...?"

That seemed to be the end of the conversation as Kaito walked out of the room, surprised to see the two already up. Kokichi immediatly went to hug Kaito, as if having not seen him in years. This went unmentioned by Maki, who pretended the two weren't there. The three exchanged mornings and Kaito went off to the kitchen to hopefully succeed at making coffee this time. Kokichi, of course, following. The remnants of the event from last night were still there, earning a sigh from Kaito, who tried to ignore the cut on Kokichi's arm. Instead, he simply picked the knife up and threw it into the sink.

"You're really making me get a lock on the cabinets," Kaito mumbled.

Kokichi looked down in guilt. "It... It wasn't... I didn't mean-"

"I know. Maki already told me. Well, some of it. I can only assume why there is a cut on your arm."

A loud ringing errupted through the quiet house, stopping the two's discussion. It wasn't hard to figure out where the sound was coming from. Especially when it was quickly stopped and followed by Maki talking. As it went on, her voice began to get frantic, concerning Kaito into peeking his head into the living room. Not much words were exchanged from Maki to give away what was happening. All he knew was Maki quickly hung up the phone and got her shoes on.

"You two," she said. "Get dressed. We need to go."

"Go," Kaito asked. "Go where?"

"I can't say. Just hurry up and get dressed." Maki began to pace back and forth. Her face didn't particularly show fear but her movements did.

"W-Wait a second," Kokichi said. "I'm not-"

"You don't have a choice."

"Maki roll," Kaito said, trying to keep a calm voice.

"Listen. Himiko is missing."

---

🌿Idk what it is but I don't like this chapter. But I couldn't figure out a way to fix it so ya know what here ya go. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaa🌿