Chapter 20 ~ You're Scaring Me

As soon as Kiibo closed the door behind him, Kokichi got to work lock picking the cuffs. While he'd like to believe Kiibo could take Shuichi on, he wouldn't wait around to find out. With the cuffs off, he reached down and grabbed the knife, heading towards the door. He wasn't entirely sure what his plan was, just going off impulses. Opening the door, he listened close for any noise. He could already hear a fight happening between the two, Shuichi shouting about how dare he keep Kokichi away from him. It made Kokichi shiver but not move, listening for any other voices. Aside from Kiibo saying stuff back, no one else was speaking during it, confirming what Kokichi feared. He had hoped Shuichi would've brought Maki with, being part of the reason he allowed Shuichi to follow them back when they were leaving the building. Though, it did take a week for him to show up, meaning Maki may have been involved but left behind.

The thoughts that Shuichi possibly hurt Maki did cross Kokichi's mind, making him freeze in fear. If Shuichi could take down Maki, the semi-assassin, what hope did he have? His eyes went towards the window. He could attempt jumping out of it but it would be dangerous, considering he was on the second floor. While he'd probably live, the fall could still break his legs, putting him at Shuichi's mercy. Options were low and it didn't sound like Kiibo was winning the fight. Kokichi cursed under his breath, now rooting for Kiibo to kill Shuichi, as it's a better option than hoping Shuichi honors his word on being normal. He never believed Shuichi for a second but tried to force some hope he'd be truthful enough to bring Maki to him. But that wasn't an option anymore.

Taking a deep breath, he tip toed out of the room, hoping to find a way to sneak past the fight and run. Or better yet, maybe he'd be lucky and someone left their keys in their car. Wishful thinking but all you can rely on in this situation is impulses. Before Kokichi could even get half way down the stairs, there was a loud crash, along with the sound of footsteps rushing in his direction. There at the bottom of the stairs was now Shuichi, staring up at Kokichi in shock, which quickly turned into a smile. Kokichi shook his head, realizing just how badly he messed up now. He booked it back to the room, shutting and locking the door. There was no time for what ifs, rushing to the window and trying to open it. However, no matter which way he turned the lock, it wouldn't budge. The sound of Shuichi trying to kick open the door was filling his ears, beginning to struggle to breath.

This can't be the end, Kokichi thought. I can't go back to that way of life. I can't!

His eyes darted around the room, falling on a closet door. He quickly hid in it, having nothing to actually hide behind in it. He knew this wouldn't actually protect him but what other choice did he have? He wished he could've opened the window to at least trick Shuichi into thinking he ran off. 

"Kokichi," Shuichi yelled. "Open this door!"

Kokichi shook his head in his hands, wishing for all of this to go away. He needed another convenient escape. For Maki to suddenly show up and save him like she always did.

"We don't have time for this Kokichi. I'm here to save you! Isn't that what you want?"

Instinctively, he almost shouted 'no' at the question, quickly covering his mouth to stop himself, as if Shuichi didn't already know he was in there.

"Come on. I told you, I'm not going to hurt you. I promise you will be safe if you just come with me." His tone started to change, going from anger to pleading. His voice was trying to be sweet.

But Kokichi wasn't falling for it. He knew it wouldn't be long until Shuichi breaks in, the house not being very sturdy. Options were practically none, some tears falling down his face.

"Kokichi. Come on. Don't you want to see Maki?"

The tone shifted again. Or, at least Kokichi thinks it did, picking up some mocking. That's exactly what Kokichi wanted. Also confirms Shuichi was with Maki at some point. But if she wasn't with him, did he do something to her? His thoughts raced with the worse possible scenarios. She could be tied up at his house. He could've been trying to break her like he broke him. What if he already did? And if he hadn't yet, would Kokichi have to witness those horrors being brought upon Maki?