Chapter 18 ~ An Impossible Plan

The ride had been long and quiet, the car occasionally swerving as Maki struggled to keep her eyes open. There were a few stops for coffee and snacks, desperate to stay awake despite the risk being in public causes. They finally reached their destination by sunrise. Despite only being there a few times, the way there felt engraved in her brain. She could hear Kokichi snoring from the back, making her hesitate to wake him up. Maybe she could be quick about it and not involve him. She did still have the assassin memories and reflex, having the ability to sneak in as long as she held on to that part long enough. But she also knew it was too risky leaving Kokichi behind, especially here of all places. All it takes is one person finding him for things to get out of hand.

Sighing, she reached towards the back and begun nudging him, his eyes slowly opening. For a moment, he was filled with fear, used to waking up to some kind of danger. Though, it didn't take long for him to remember the situation, sighing in relief.

"You ready," Maki asked.

He stared at her before replying, "Are you?"

Her eyes were barely open, head swaying back and forth. He wasn't sure how much longer she could last, worried it would jeopardize the mission. Most of this was going to rely on her fake memories, Kokichi having nowhere near the talent to get through this place.

"We don't have a choice," she said, wiping her eyes. "Don't worry, I won't pass out. While my body never actually went through the torture training from the assassin past memories, my mind is using that trauma to my advantage. The triggers are still there. Now, let's finish this so I can take a nap."

Unbuckling herself, she stumbled out of the car and stretched, Kokichi following soon behind. The car had been parked a bit away from the building, out of site of the cameras and behind a few trees. It wouldn't be too long till someone noticed the car, meaning they had to be quick. Part of them wished they had more time to plan this better, not wanting to rush a sensitive mission. But it couldn't be help, pushing them each step they took towards the building. Unfortunately, though the car was out of site, there was no hiding themselves from the cameras. All they could do was run and hope for the best.

Darting across the lawn, they were hoping the shadows from the trees paired with the sun not being fully risen to delay their appearance on the cameras. Upon reaching the door, Maki had been prepared to attack, raising a knife she brought with her and preparing to strike anyone on the other side of the door. However, not a person was in sight. It was as if the building was abandoned. The two stayed on guard, quieting their movements as they wondered room to room. The place was like a maze, with many offices and break rooms.

After a while of aimlessly walking around, they stopped being quiet, still having not ran into anyone. The lights and computers were on but not a person in sight. Despite the voices in their heads telling them something was wrong and that they should leave, they refused to listen. Either they finish what they've started now or continue this cat and mouse game with the people they used to call friends.

Finally, they opened a door that revealed a giant machine hooked up to a giant monitor, which was also hooked up to a small computer. It looked promising enough, Kokichi immediately running over and pushing some buttons. The computer turned on, the Team Danganronpa logo appearing, before transitioning to command boxes. After a little digging, it was confirmed this was exactly what they were looking for. He gasped, turning to look at Maki, who was paying more attention to the door. She couldn't help the suspicion that something was off. He knew she was right to be paranoid but didn't want to let this opportunity pass them by, going back to the computer and trying to figure out how to get it to print exactly what he wanted.

He paused, realizing he'd need to be specific. They hadn't truly thought-out what memories they'd be replacing everyone's with. He wasn't even sure if it would be possible to just make their minds go blank temporarily until they thought of better memories to place there. He huffed, scratching his head.