Chapter 1 ~ Never Safe

Kokichi ran down the hall, hearing a familiar chuckle behind him. No matter how far he ran, the voice was never far behind. He was suddenly stopped in his tracks, held back by a hand gripping his arm. His heart rate increased, terrified to face the person the voice belonged to. He could hear words but failed to make them out, hearing nothing but the destruction of the school around him. A familiar robot flew past him, blowing apart the walls around them. Too much was happening, keeping Kokichi frozen while someone grabbed him from behind, dragging him into the chaos he prayed to avoid.

"Kokichi," the person said, sounding unamused. "You know you can't escape me. Why were you running?"

Kokichi refused to answer, hoping it was the safest option. However, it only enraged them more, resulting in Kokichi being thrown onto the ground. He whimpered, curling up in a ball as the person proceeded to repeatedly kick him. Laughing was heard from multiple people, cutting into Kokichi as he cried out for help.

He gasped, sitting up to find himself in a bed, a person next to him with a worried look in their eyes. There was seconds of silence before Kokichi screamed, trying to jump off the bed. The person immediately grabbed him, pulling him into a comforting hug. Kokichi began to sob, struggling to push the person away.

"I-I'm sorry," Kokichi yelled. "I promise I-I won't run. I s-swear!"

"Kokichi," the person shouted, silencing the small male. "I'm not him. You're not in danger."

Kokichi sniffled, turning and staring up at Kaito. Silence once again filled the room, both waiting for the other to make a move. Finally, Kaito sighed.

"Memory or nightmare," he asked, giving a tired look.

"Nightmare," Kokichi mumbled, looking down.

Kaito sighed again, rubbing his eyes. His head hurt as he thought back to all the past nights, unsure where to go from here. Each night seemed the same, as if stuck in some kind of time loop Kaito continuously woke up in. Nothing changed no matter how hard Kaito tried.

Kokichi, longing for safety, cuddled up to kaito, closing his eyes in an attempt to fall back asleep. Kaito allowed it, already expecting this. He didn't necessarily like it nor hate it. There was mixed feelings, knowing how little this was helping the situation. Then again, there was only so much he could do, knowing nothing on psychology. So, even though he knew it was useless, he wrapped his arms around Kokichi, in hopes of comforting the male enough to return to sleep. Soon enough, Kokichi seemed back at peace, allowing Kaito to lay back down as if nothing happened.

However, the peace was short lived as the phone ran, immediately startling Kokichi back awake. Kaito growled, cursing under his breath as he answered his phone. Though, he didn't get a word out before the person began talking.

"I need to stay at your house for the night," the person said, sounding devoid of emotion.

"Maki," Kaito asked, unsure if he heard her right. "What's wrong?"

"Just be ready. I'm sure Kokichi is already freaking out."

Kaito looked over, seeing Kokichi nervously hugging a pillow. "Yeah... Okay, come over."

With that, Maki hung up, leaving Kaito with many questions. it wasn't like Maki to pay them visits, considering the ongoing situation. This led to worry and fear it might have something to do with them. Katio looked over at Kokichi once more, looking into his concerned eyes and debating if he should tell him the news. Then again, it wasn't like he could hide it once Maki was there.

"D-Did I do something w-wrong," Kokichi asked, scooting back slightly.

"No," Kaito mumbled. "Maki's just coming over."

"A-At four in the morning...?"

Kaito's attention snapped to the clock, eyes widening in realization. "I... guess."

Kokichi tilted his head, mumbling Maki's name a couple times, as if it was a foreign word. "Maki... is safe..."

Kaito didn't reply, getting out of bed and going through the closet for a pair of pants. He took minimal effort in getting dressed, at the very least making sure he wasn't fully amess. Every now and then, he'd glance back at Kokichi, seeing the smaller male right where he left him.

"You can stay here if you want," Kaito said, putting on a tank top.

"D-Do you want me to sta-ay here," Kokichi asked, voice varely above a whisper.

Kaito thought on it, unsure if the two should be separated or not. On one hand, it gives Kokichi an opportunity to socialize. On the other, there was no telling if the two would actually get along or not. Once out of the killing game, the two kept their distance, knowing of the damage the fake Kokichi caused. However, this could be an opportunity to form new relationships. It may even cause Maki to visit more or help Kokichi come out of his terrified state. Though it may be wishful thinking, Kaito held onto that hope as he made his decision.

"Nah," he said, tossing Kokichi a random shirt. "You're going to catch up with Maki."

---

🌿Well. Here it is. Okay so first off, I can't promise updates to be often. See, I have issues writing in my house. I don't know why but I just do. All the other stories and oneshots I've wrote were done in some public area. But because I can't just hang around a public area like school (that's where I did most of my writing and I just graduated this year) I will have to find a way to make this work. Also, I'm not motivated to do much of anything but eat burritos and sleep less than 8 hours only to stare at my switch screen wondering what to do because I'm bored and tired. I'm hoping to find a way to get productive at home. I really wanted to write this and am excited to. Second, I am not a therapist. I'm going to college to try to be one someday but for now I know little to nothing about helping people with issues such as Kokichi's. Because of this, it is gonna be handled in a weird way. While it is a focus it isn't the main MAIN focus as I'm trying to figure out what would help someone like him without totally messing it up. So please be understanding if anything that starts to help Kokichi ends up sounding stupid. That's all for now. I'll try to get out a couple more chapters soon and make them longer just because chapter 1 took too long.🌿