Chapter 11 ~ Failed Attempt

Maki tried her best to clear out the living room as much as she could, pushing the furniture against the wall or out of the room. All while Kokichi stood there awkwardly, unable to really help. Once the room was cleared out, she directed Kokichi to the middle of the room, going through some motions and explaining ways of defense. It was a lot for Kokichi to take in but he attempted the best he could. They punched and kicked the air a few times, Kokichi always seeming to stumble. Maki always stared silently at him when it happened, even if she had been in the middle of a sentence. But before Kokichi would apologize, she would interrupt him by critiquing his foot placement. 

She then switched to having him attack her. This he seemed really hesitant on, scared she might suddenly react and break his arm. No matter how much she insisted that she wouldn't fight back, he just shook his head in response. 

"If you ever need to defend yourself, you can't be afraid of attacking the other person," Maki said, giving an annoyed expression. 

"T-That will be different," Kokichi replied. "I wouldn't have a choice in that situation."

"Yes but you wouldn't be prepared."

"..."

He looked towards the ground, causing Maki to sigh. Neither spoke as she walked out of the room, worrying Kokichi into thinking she gave up on him. However, she soon returned with Shuichi. Kokichi immediately tensed up and backed away, looking to Maki for an explanation.

"Will you attack him," she asked.

"W-What?"

"You see Shuichi as a threat, correct? We could use him for practice."

"N-No. Keep him away from me!"

"Maki, I don't think this is a good idea," Shuichi said, seeming uncomfortable.

"We need to figure something out. Punching the air isn't going to get him anywhere."

Before anyone could reply, she pushed Shuichi towards Kokichi, causing the small male to jump back and let out a small scream. Shuichi stumbled a little in front of him, trying to keep his balance. Suddenly, he felt a pain in his cheek as he was pushed back, stumbling back towards Maki. Everyone stared silently, Maki eventually smiling and walking towards Kokichi.

"See, it worked," she said.

"I-I told you to keep him away from me," Kokichi said quietly, sniffling.

"But this will help-"

"No!" He stomped his foot, grabbing his head with his hands. "I said no."

"Kokichi-"

"No!" He stormed out of the room and into the bathroom, shutting and locking the door. 

Kokichi sat on the floor as he tried to calm himself down and regain control. He also listened for any sounds happening outside the door. Though, nothing was heard. It wasn't clear whether it was due to the two being silent or if the bathroom was too far. He momentarily forgot the distance it took to get there, just glad to be alone in what felt like a safe room. Taking some deep breaths, he wondered if Maki really would give up now. Honestly, he wasn't sure what to do. He didn't want to face Shuichi, even if it meant beating him up. But he was too scared to try hurting Maki. But if he didn't do this, who knows what could happen. He still wasn't sure what was going on lately with the break ins and where Kaito was. Obviously, his suffering was far from over. And he didn't want to know what these strangers were trying to accomplish.

He jumped at the sudden knock on the door, not answering as if they didn't already know he was in there.

"Kokichi, it is just me," Maki said.

He was hesitant for a second before unlocking the door, opening it a bit to make sure it really was only her. To his relief, she was alone, Shuichi no where in sight. He opened the door more, looking to the ground.

"I'm sorry," she said.

"Huh," he asked, looking up.

"I shouldn't have forced you to be close to Shuichi like that."

He nodded, unsure what to really say. In a way, he was confused. She seemed genuinely remorseful, showing more emotion than he had ever seen. Granted, it still seemed to be trying to hide, but it's presence was still a shock.

The moment was interrupted by the phone ringing, Maki rushing the answer it. Kokichi stayed close to hear what she was saying, hearing the mention of the names "Kaito" and "Himiko." He wasn't sure if that was a good thing, unsure who exactly she was talking to. She tried to get some distance from the male, obviously not wanting him to hear the conversation. This just made him even more curious, following her around the house. It wasn't until she gave him a death glare that he started to back off, going off into another room. He still tried his best to listen to the conversation but was unable to make anything out, which bothered him. He was worried Kaito was in danger, considering he would have been at the house all by himself. Though, Maki's panicking didn't indicate it. Sure, something was definitely wrong, but he expected more of a reaction if the news was that one of them was dead.

Finally, Maki hung up the phone and walked into the room Kokichi was in. She hid her emotions as she stared down at him.

"I have to go somewhere for a second," she said. "Stay here and don't answer the door for anyone."

He nodded, saying, "What's going on?"

She shook her head. "I have to see it myself. Just please don't let anyone know you are here."

With that, she walked to the door and left, leaving Kokichi all alone. But just as he heard her car pull away, a sound of footsteps made him remember something. He wasn't alone in the house.

"Maki," Shuichi called out, though not too loudly.

Kokichi ducked behind the couch, hoping Maki would come back soon before Shuichi found him.