001

"Have your cake and eat it, baby, it's your birthday"

Noelle Devora
~irl~

Ive always loved living in Seattle. The nature, the ferry boats, the rain. I love it all.

Well to be honest i wouldn't have anything to compare it to, i've only ever lived here. I have visited California and Mexico but for short periods. Mexico was just a couple times; I was born in Mexico, we go for a week every year to visit family, and that's about it.

I've gone to California twice, both times were to visit my brother at college and it was only for three i days each time. I didn't know how to drive for any of those trips so i was stuck following my parents, my brother or i stayed in the hotel room doing my school work.

My parents are too busy to be able to travel for fun, so we don't go anywhere unless it's our anual Mexico trip or now to visit my brother. Other then that they spend their time working.

So i've only ever known Seattle.

Which is why i don't mind spending my 18th birthday on a ferry boat with my friends. We skipped school, well they made me skip. It was basically kidnapping now that i think of it, i was sitting in the back of Toby's (Tobias) car with Nori (Eleanor) and Bri (Brielle) not really paying attention to the road because of the fact that i believed we were going to school. But no, Toby just turned a different way and we ended up on the parking lot of the ferries.

So yeah, we're on a ferry on my birthday.

"You need to live a little" My best friend, Fin (Finley) was standing next to me while we looked at the water and the city from here. "It's your 18th birthday Noelle"

"I do live, i don't care about missing school i just wish i didn't get dressed to go to school otherwise i would've dressed so much better for here" I laughed, "When did you guys plan this?"

"This morning" I glared at him, "It wasn't just my idea"

"Whose was it"

"All of ours" I shook my head, "We love you"

"And i love you guys too" I hugged Fin, "You're my four favorite people"

He hummed and let me go before we both walked to our friends. "Noelle" I looked at Nori who was smiling excitedly at me while calling me to sit next to her. I took the seat next to her and Toby. "Happy birthday whore" She wrapped her arms around me in a tight hug. "I love you so much"

"Thank you Nor, i love you too" My arms were wrapped around her, returning the hug. "I wouldn't wanna be celebrating with anyone else" I admit to her as we both let go.

"Not even Justin?" Justin is my brother.

"You guys and Justin" I smiled at her "I wish he was able to fly out for my birthday" It hasn't been too long since i've seen Justin since he was here the first week of January but ever since he's been in California he has flown out for my birthday. Every year except this one.

I understand my past birthdays away from him have been on the weekend but i wish he could be here. He hasn't even called or texted me.

Me and my brother have been best friends since i was born. My mom told me he would talk to her belly when she was pregnant with me and he was so happy to see me when i was in the hospital. There's siblings that hate each other or can't stand to be together but that's not us.

Yes we fight and we make fun of each other but we're best friends. Justin will never not be the person i could count on for anything.

Our bond did change when he left for school and we aren't as close anymore but we talk a lot still. He sends me pictures of pretty California sights and i send him pictures of our parents being themselves or things he likes from here.

"I'm sure he would've if he didn't have to show up to school" Nori comforted me, "Your brother loves you he wouldn't miss your birthday"

"I know"

"Help me get him to love me" I laughed, "We could be sisters"

"I thought you-"

"Shut up" She slapped her hand against my mouth to keep me from saying anymore. "If you say it out loud i'll throw you in the water" My eyes widened, "Can i trust you enough to drop my hand" I nodded so she dropped her hand from my mouth.

"If she says what out loud?" Toby asked with genuine curiosity.

"To mind your business" She said looking at him with the most serious face ever. "It's a girl thing Tobias, unless you're female then stop eavesdropping" I laughed knowing she was just messing with him.

"I'm literally female and have no idea what's going on" Brielle spoke up, walking to stand in front of us. "Can i know"

"You do know" I stated, "We just won't mention in at this moment with the nosey people" I looked at Toby who was glaring at me then looked to Fin to see him confused.

Toby sighed, "You three will be the death of me Noelle, it'll be on my grave stone that you three did it" I rolled my eyes

"Stop being mean it's literally my birthday"

Tony shrugged "That means i get to be extra mean" I made a face

Toby is my non biological brother. He's exactly like Justin except we share no dna and do not have the same last name. We fight like literal siblings and have been friends since diapers.

Toby has seen every side of me, literally. We used to take baths together since our parents would take care of us for each other. We grew up as neighbors and we still are to this day. I was there for his first steps as he was for mine too. Our parents are close, our moms have a law firm together.

I think our families secretly hope we end up together. I know my dad would love that, either him or Fin. But i've never seen any of them as anything other than a really close friend or a sibling.

That's a lie... i did like Toby but that was in 9th grade before i really saw how much he messes with girls. I love this guy but i will not lie about him and his history with women. He sucks at relationships, sucks at everything related to that topic. He had a girlfriend in 9th grade while i secretly crushed on him and he loved her so much, so he says, but he ended up cheating on her with a random girl.

He said he did that to spare hurting her in the long run. I don't know what he meant by that but ever since that all those non friendship feelings went away.

I even got a boyfriend not so long after that but then we split and i dated someone else junior year. We broke up a couple months ago for many reasons but i loved him nonetheless.

Or so i thought i did.