Chapter 9: Friendly Conversations

Tabitha huffed as she rolled her aching neck back and forth on her shoulders, pushing back from her hunched position over the laptop she'd been bent over for the past four hours. Pushing back, she stood, her back popping and cracking as she unbent it as well.

"Damn," she mumbled to herself, "I'm getting too old to spend this many hours glued to a computer screen. This isn't college anymore."

She swallowed the last of her long since flat beer, and decided to take a shower. Researching the bizarre case that had brought them to Pennsylvania wasn't getting her anywhere, and if she knew her brothers—which she did—she knew they would have called it a night by now and long since found themselves one of the many German-themed taverns to wet their considerable whistle at. So she figured she was more than justified in knocking off for a few hours to order a pizza and take a shower while she waited for her food.

Dean had put her under strict orders to stay in the motel room while her brothers worked this case—and while she even agreed with the principle that she needed to lay low until they were sure the smoke surrounding Agent Tabitha Winchester had died down—she still chafed at being put on the bench.

Being confined to the crappy motel room for a second night was the worst part. She'd never done well being stuck in any one place. It was one of the reasons she had loved the FBI—always a new case in a new location.

She was starting to feel like she was getting cabin fever and the four tacky walls with their seventies-style flower wallpaper were closing in on her. Or maybe it was motel fever. Surely, that had to be a clinical diagnosis, right?

Shaking her head, she called and placed her order at a local pizzeria—never having been a fan of the chain pizza shops—and climbed in the shower to wash away the stench of her motel fever during her half-hour wait for her meal to be delivered.

Tabitha was still towel drying her hair as she carried her iPod out of the bathroom, singing along loudly to an Aerosmith song as she dropped her damp towel on the foot of the bed, shaking her hair out as she left it to finish air-drying.

"What are you researching?"

Her feet nearly caught beneath her as Tabitha jumped and tried to spin around all at once, gasping as she pressed a hand to her suddenly pounding heart.

"Dammit, Cas!" she breathed as she righted herself. "You scared the shit out of me! Knock next time or something. You about gave me a heart attack," she told the angel as she lowered onto the bed, yanking the wet towel from beneath her when she felt the water was seeping through her cotton boxer sleep-shorts.

The angel was sitting in the seat she had previously occupied at the table, turned sideways in it to face her, his appearance, as usual, completely unchanged.

"What do you want me to 'knock?'" he asked, his head tilting slightly to the side as he questioned her.

Tabitha finally cracked a smile as she shook her head. "Never mind. Just let me know the next time you're going to show up out of thin air like that. You know, make some noise, say something. It's lucky I had already changed in the bathroom and didn't walk out here naked or something."

"I don't understand," he told her, staring at her with his usual open, earnest, but confused gaze. "I did speak. And what would it matter if you walked out clothed or not? You're no different than other humans I've observed clothed or unclothed."

Snorting, Tabitha crossed her arms over her ratty sleep t-shirt and explained, "Here's another tip from woman to angel: Don't tell a woman she hasn't got anything you haven't seen before. Every woman, no matter how ugly, deep down wants to believe that her body is so hot, that it outranks anything you've ever seen before."