Chapter 12: ...Don't I?

Previously: Tabitha finally shook herself from her stupor, looking down at the shotgun she held loosely in her hands as Ruby came to stand beside her and her brothers on the demon's other side. "It's not demons, guys. It's Castiel," she whispered.

Chapter 12: …Don't I?

The other three turned to stare at her, but then the door flew open with a bang, tearing their attention away from Tabitha as Castiel purposefully strode through the open doorway, Uriel following closely behind.

Tabitha stared as Castiel continued to avoid her eyes, steadfastly locking his gaze on Dean as her brothers and Ruby gapped in surprise at the angels.

Knowing exactly what they were, Ruby gasped fearfully as her eyes flashed for a moment to black.

"Please tell me you're here to help," Dean tiredly asked. "We've been having demon issues all day."

"Well, I can see that," Uriel dryly observed with a nod towards Ruby. "You want to explain why you have that stain in the room?"

The Winchesters glanced at the demon between the three of them at Uriel's disdainful tone.

"We're here for Anna," Castiel explained before any of the Winchesters could answer Uriel.

Tabitha's brow furrowed as she stared at Castiel. Although his features were schooled into his normal impassive mask, she had grown so used to his subtle expressions and all his nuances in the time he had spent with her. And though he was more guarded now than he was when it was just her, she still saw regret and grief in those expressive eyes. But why? danced in her head.

"Here for her like…here for her?" Dean cautiously asked.

"Stop talking," Uriel snapped in annoyance. "Give her to us."

"Are you going to help her?" Sam demanded.

But Tabitha saw the answer written in Castiel's eyes before he even spoke. And she knew now why he was here. What he regretted.

"No," she answered in a whisper so low her brothers didn't hear her.

But the angel did, and Castiel's eyes finally locked on hers as he flatly repeated the answer she'd instinctively known, "No. She has to die."

For the span of several heartbeats, he didn't say anything else, and his eyes didn't move, as though trying to make her understand by sheer force of will what he was doing and why.

"You want Anna? Why?" Sam demanded.

Uriel huffed and took a step closer to their group, saying, "Out of the way."

"Whoa, whoa, whoa," Dean fired back. "I know she's wiretapping your angel chats or whatever, but it's no reason to gank her."

Still holding Castiel's gaze, Tabitha quietly asked, "You'd kill that girl just because of something she can't help? Because she can hear angels?"

"Don't worry," Uriel interjected before Castiel could speak. "I'll kill her gentle."

"You're some heartless sons of bitches, you know that?" Dean threw back.

Eyes purposefully boring into hers, Castiel seemed to be speaking directly to her as he replied to Dean's words, "As a matter of fact, we are." His eyes turned momentarily on the ground before coming up to meet Dean's again. "And?" he indifferently asked.

"And Anna's an innocent girl," Sam incredulously replied.

"She is far from innocent," Castiel answered him.