Chapter 19: This Is Our Last Goodbye

On July 25, 1971, a silver bracelet was found near Clear Lake, South Dakota. It seemed like an unremarkable piece of jewelry. But it wasn't.

The man who found it seemed like an unremarkable man. But neither was he.

In fact, that silver braceletalready affixed with a few charmswould become one of the most important pieces of jewelryno, the most important belongingfor the woman who would help her brothers change the course of destiny.

You see, while two brothers would be able to change the very course of fatethanks in no small part to the immense importance of one single carit was one woman who actually made it possible for them to do so in the first place. And one single piece of jewelry that made it all possible for her.

Sure, maybe it's stereotypical for a car to be so important to guys while a piece of jewelry is so important to a woman, but hey, stereotypes became stereotypes for a reason. So back off.

Anyway, this bracelet was found by chance. Found by a man that had just finished a hunt. Not deer or anything like that mind you, but a nest of vampires. This hunter just happened to see the silver bracelet glinting in the dirt near the back tire of his station wagon. And he just happened to need a gift for his daughter's 17th birthday. Which also just so happened to be the next day. Deciding that he couldn't let a fourth year go by forgetting to find her a real present, the man felt he was just in luck.

He didn't know what most of the charms were foror even where the bracelet had come frombut he decided that the black jeweled cross on it was enough to satisfy his hunter's instincts. And that the other strangely stylized charms were pretty enough to convince his daughter that he didn't think only about hunting. Neither would ever realize that those charms were far more powerful than they were pretty.

Mary Campbell treasured that bracelet as the most thoughtful gift her father had ever given her. And her daughter treasured it even more after Mary died and it became hers.

In the years Tabitha owned the bracelet, she added to the modest collection of charms. Some held magical properties, others didn't. But her favorites weren't the ones she'd acquired for herself, or even the originals, but rather the ones that had been given to her.

When he was 11 years old, Sam bought her the pizza slice charm on her bracelet. She was chagrined to realize he bought it for her because he thought take-out pizza was the best meal she could make. It was many years before she mastered cooking. Well, a few dishes anyway.

Try as she would to forget why he chose that particular charm, the reason he bought her one at all was something she'd never forgotten. And probably never would.

It was after a fight that Sam had gotten into which left him bloody. But she'd let him fight his own battle when he'd asked her to stay out of it. And she'd smiled confidently when he'd looked so proud of himself, even though he'd lost badly. And despite the fact that she'd cried herself to sleep that night after cleaning and bandaging his cuts, she loved that charm for reminding her of that proud smile on his 11-year-old face.

And just as much as that silly pizza slice charm, she loved the four-leaf clover charm Dean had given her one day when she was sixteen, out of the clear blue. She'd loved the unexpected generosity of her older brother. Proving that even when he could be a jerk, he'd go out of his way to brighten her day because she was feeling blue.