Chapter 10: Halloween: The Resurrection

"Why the hell do witches have to be so skeevy and disgusting?" Dean complained as they left a victim's house after interviewing his wife—now widow. "I mean, why do they always have to try and ruin perfectly good holiday traditions, too? Razor blades in Halloween candy? That's just messed up." He shuddered as he spoke.

"I'd think you'd be used to witches and their nasty ways by now," Tabitha laughed as she unbuttoned her suit jacket to climb into the back seat of the Impala, careful of the tight skirt and the heels of her FBI outfit.

Sam laughed as he climbed into the passenger seat. The brothers were likewise dressed in their Fed costumes. But it was taking Tabitha longer to accept that her own clothes were now costume as well and that she wasn't a real Fed anymore.

"Dean's more concerned about the violation to the Halloween candy than the fact that witches are involved," Sam chuckled over his shoulder. As he spoke, he glanced down at the hex bag he'd found in the house, carefully opening it to examine the contents.

Dean shut the driver's door with a thud. "Of course I'm upset by it. All that innocent candy," he lamented.

"You've got a one-track mind, Dean," Tabitha laughed. Leaning forward over Sam's shoulder to look, she asked, "So, what's in there, little brother?" 

Dean leaned over as well while Sam pushed the contents of dried herbs, a coin, a bone, and other contents around with a fingertip. "I don't know," Sam answered. "Some of this looks really old and pretty unfamiliar to me. Not the normal hex bag material, that's for sure."

Throwing the car in gear with an exaggerated sigh, Dean sullenly complained, "Let me guess, that means we've got to do some research. Wonderful."

As they started down the street, Tabitha tapped her older brother on the shoulder. "We should stop by the morgue though and take a look at the body first. Wouldn't hurt to check the police files, too, to see what, if anything useful is in them."

"Fine," Dean agreed. "I'd rather go to the morgue than sit in a library and research any day of the week. Look it up, where's the morgue in this town anyway, Tab?"

Tabitha tapped away on her phone as she looked for an address. "Most small towns have theirs in the hospital," she absently supplied. "And this town is too small to have their own separate morgue. Yup, it's at the hospital, er, local clinic, I guess."

She looked up from her phone and gave Dean quick directions to the town's small clinic.

Twenty minutes later, they were at the nurse's station asking for directions to the morgue.

"Just who are you three and why do you want to know about our morgue?" a man asked from behind them.

The siblings turned away from the front desk to face what appeared to be the sheriff of the little town, his folded arms and frown telling them plainly that he wasn't impressed with Feds in his territory. He was mid-forties, a distinguished looking older man in Tabitha's opinion, the scattered salt to his dark brown hair making him all the more charmingly distinguished.

Dean stepped forward and held his hand out to the sheriff. "I'm Agent Bob Seger, and these are Agents Pete Carr and Lesley Warren with the FBI. We were hoping to take a look at the body of Luke Wallace." As he spoke, he flipped out his badge with his other hand, Sam and Tabitha following suit behind him.

The sheriff continued to stand imposingly with his arms crossed, refusing to shake Dean's proffered hand, and barely glancing down at the badge. "What do the Feds want with a prank like this in our little town? Strange though it may be."