𝐂.22

milfs and roosters

"WAIT, YOU'RE SERIOUS?" John B asks as the rest of the teenagers stare at her in shock. The rooster screeches out another crow.

"I wouldn't lie about this," Matha stands apart from the group. "I think you have to talk to my mother."

"Oh, you'll love her. Total milf." JJ mumbles snarkily, earning a few snickers from Pope and a flabbergasted Martha. His lips tugging upwards in a smirk as his tongue rolls in his cheek.

"Oh, you little shit!" Martha laughs, walking over to slap him playfully on the arm. "I don't know if I should take that as a compliment or not, " she ponders.

"Hey, you gotta love milfs," JJ defends, putting his hands up. "I love them more than that goddamn rooster." He says, referring to the obnoxiously loud cockerel.

"Hey, don't be mean to the rooster. I love the rooster," Kie chuckles under her breath.

"Come on, John B, let's all go see my mom," Marty announces, taking JJ's hand in hers. "Field trip!"

"Okay, wait one moment." John B shakes his head as he makes his way over to the desk. He grabs a mechanical pencil and starts to write down the name, to remember it. Suddenly, he hears tires crunch the dry grass outside the window.

"Hey, guys," He says, trying to gain their attention but they're all too excited to meet Matha's mother. "Guys! Somebody's here." He yells, his voice is frantic as he doesn't recognize the black truck.

JJ pulls Marty back from exiting, "hold up baby." She turns her head confused but instinctively walks over to the window.

Pope and JJ stretch their necks out, gawking at the two dudes exiting the car. Martha grabs Kie's hand as she starts to freak out.

"Guys, guys, is that them?" She turns to the boys and Marty. "Martha, is that them?" Her voice cracking with fear. Martha turns and stares into her glossy and chocolate pudding eyes, squeezing her hand tighter.

JJ lets out a disappointing sigh, "oh no."

"This is suboptimal," Pope concludes.

JJ turns around, pacing to the other side of the room. "John B, I told you, man. Why does it always—"

"JJ!" John B yells, coming up from behind the pogue at a fast pace. JJ turns around to argue something back but he's pushed into the wall. "Hey, look at me, where's the gun?"

"Gun? I- uh, I can't—" He stutters, his hands shaking as he tries to remember.

"Now you don't have the gun, the one time we need the gun." Kiara scolds him, her voice becoming increasingly more upset.

"It was in my backpack, and then I—"

"On the porch." Marty finishes his sentence. She remembers because she always told him to put the safety on.

"It's on the porch," he says, racing out to get his gun.

A deep yell can be heard from the open door, "John Routledge!"

"Holy shit," Marty croaks out, grabbing and hugging Kie for her to calm down.

JJ zooms back inside as the men yell again. "They're on the front porch, guys."

"Get the fuck out here! No one's gonna get hurt." Another voice booms through the thin walls, sounds of picture frames and glass bottles breaking as they continue to trash the place and terrify the kids.

"Guys, we gotta leave. Window, window, window," Marty repeats in a frantic state, holding Kiara in her arms as the boys run over to the window and start to pry it open.

Pope grunts and JJ seethes through his teeth, their fingers trying to grasp the edge and slide it open but nothing is budging.

"What— what's happening? Why is it taking so long?" Marty whisper-yells, her voice breaking from the cries trapped in her throat.

"It's painted shut, okay?" JJ turns to her.

She nods, kissing Kie's forehead and pulling away from her. She shuffles through the workspace, her fingers flying to a cup with tools on it and she picks up a knife. "Okay, guys, I got it. Here," she says, excusing herself in the middle of them and wedging the metal in the paint.

"Come on, come on, come on," JJ says harshly, trying to speed up the process.

"I'm going as fast as I can, J." She whispers, finally slicing through the irritating paint. She smiles, turning to JJ who quickly kisses her on the cheek.

"Guys, she got it open, let's go." JJ props it open, a cool breeze hitting the sweating girls. Marty grabs Kiara's hand and climbs out the window.

JJ turns to John B and Pope who are still holding back the door. He motions for them to come through, as he jumps through and falls on the ground, stumbling over his feet.

"The coup!" He yells, pointing over to the chicken coup. Marty nods, running to the low-standing cage with Kiara.

"You better not be in there!" The man yells, hitting on the door. Pope and John B look at each other and then finally go through the window.

A shot can be heard from the house as Kiara and Marty shuffle inside the coup. The roosters and chickens flutter their wings in animation. The girls go to the back, sitting on the dirty hay. JJ sticks his head in and crawls to where Martha sat. Pretty soon Pope and John B come in as well.

The rooster squawks loudly, startling Kiara into a cry. Martha bites her lip as her breath is out of control, her shaking hand presses against her mouth and nostrils, trying to control herself. JJ looks up into the hole of the coup, trying to find some bliss, but all he could think about is Marty.

John B looks between the cracks, watching the two men take stuff out of his dad's room.

Chickens start to cluck again, finding the unexpected company unpleasant. The rooster cuckoos again, louder and louder.

"Do something Pope. Shut him up." JJ says, gritting his teeth.

"What do you want me to do?" Pope whispers, pointing to himself.

"Pet it, or talk to it. I don't know, anything," Marty whispers out.

Pope tries to reach out for the small animal but clicks away from him. John B turns away quickly as he spots one of the men walk over to the coup.

"You do something," Pope whispers over to JJ as the rooster flaps his wings over to where Marty was.

Martha watches as JJ grabs the poor bird, its wings flapping in a panic. She closes her eyes shut as she hears JJ mumbling "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry" over and over again.

Schlckt.

The rooster stops crying.