Dinner to remember (Part 2)

“Movie?”

She nodded her head excitedly. We paid the bill and walked out of the restaurant.

As we walked to the parking lot, Siri grabbed my hand. I squeezed her palm and gave her a smile. 

"The weather looks great, isn't it?" She moved closer to me. I nodded.

"Actually, I have a better idea. Let's find a quiet and beautiful place to sit. I want to tell you something."

I thought for a moment and then smiled and led her to the reception.

After a few words with the receptionist, the manager came by. A couple of minutes later, I was leading Siri to the pool.

All the while, she was staring at me lovingly. 

Once we were seated comfortably by the poolside, l turned to her. "You are right, great weather!"

It was dusk and the place was lighted dimly. Cool breeze soothed us. The noise from outside was barely audible. It felt like a perfect date night. 

{Only, it isn't one.
Don't get disheartened man! My intuition says this is going to be a night to be remembered.
I hope so too.}

Siri stared into the sky. I looked up too, noticing the flocks of birds returning to their nests.

"Roopa didi, she was our neighbor's daughter … she was 4 years older to me. We both didn't have siblings … she was like an elder sister to me."

She sighed and turned to me. Her eyes were filled with tears. I nodded silently.

"For an introvert like me, she was the only best friend that I ever had. She was smart, intelligent and optimistic. Her mere presence soothed me. She would patiently listen to me and guide me when I  was troubled by classmates at school. She was great at healing the pain within anyone. A kind soul."

{She is speaking of Roopa in past tense. Does that mean …?}

"It was the dream of her life, to become a doctor. She worked very hard for that … she came first in her school and also aced all the entrance exams. She finally earned the seat in a prestigious Medical College. Everything was going wonderfully ... until ........."

She sighed and closed her eyes. A tear drop ran down her left cheek ...

{What happened to Roopa?}

##################################

Honestly! I didn't think anyone was still reading this book.... You guys just made my heart melt..... THANK YOU FOR HOLDING ON TO THE STORY DESPITE IRREGULAR AND INCONSISTENT UPDATES....

If it were me, I might not have had the patience to wait for almost a year for the next chapter..... so I am extremely Grateful for such amazing friends that I have made at this platform.

Take care guys... stay healthy, stay safe and happy always.