Boon

She was shocked by my reaction.

“What if I am angry? Does it matter to you? Stop pretending to care for me.”

The moment the words slipped out of my mouth, I regretted them. {Oh shit! What did I do now? Instead of comforting her or making her feel better, I made her feel worse!}

“Yes! I don’t care for you. You are right. I am only pretending in front of your friends and family. So … since you have realised it, why don’t we stop pretending?”
Saying this, she rushed out of the room, slamming the door behind her.

I felt miserable once again. My body wanted her soothing touch again. But I cannot have it. I sighed and fell back in the bed. But thankfully, the goddess of sleep took me into her lap, and I felt the tired feeling wash away from me, maybe because of the medicine.

Beep … Beep …

I woke to the irritating noise of my Phone ringing. I picked it up and without looking at the caller ID, answered the call.

“Hello!”

“Mr. Hari! You are required in the office immediately.”

My sleep flew away due to the harsh tone of my boss, just like birds fly away on hearing a gun shot.

{Ugh! The best morning, isn’t it?}

I jumped out of the bed.

“Siri! Siri!”

No reply.

The house was silent. I felt fear filling my chest. I ran out of the room, grabbing my shirt. But to my shock, the house was empty. My eyes fell on the breakfast on the table. There was a note beside it.

‘Going to college’.

Now my blood started boiling.
{What is wrong with this lady? How can she be so cold towards me? Couldn’t she wake me and inform me before leaving? What does she think about herself?}

Feeling dejected, disappointed, dissatisfied, angered … actually, every negative emotion possible, I grabbed a pen and scribbled on the paper.

‘Your kindness filled my stomach.’

I threw the paper on the table and went to my room to take a shower. I got ready and left to office.

{A great day!!}
I muttered to myself as I got stuck in the traffic.
{This is what I hate about cities. It never feels like I drive to office. It is rather like my car has to swim through all the noisy and polluting vehicles flooding the busy city roads.}

I honked and hit my palm on the steering wheel.
{Whoa Hari! Why are you behaving so oddly since few days?
Because I have a wife in my house.
Oh! I get it man! Poor you! All the best! Though there is nothing best regarding this.}

I laughed at myself.
{You must be thinking I am crazy. Maybe I am! But I am not regretting it. Because this is how I let out all my frustration … by thinking non-sense. I make myself laugh whenever the situation feels out of control. But I have not done this lately …}

The honking behind me, brought me back to the busy roads; when I noticed green signal and accelerated my car.

I reached office after 1 hour of stressful driving. I rushed to the cabin of my boss, who greeted me with a wide smile.
“Your wife is a real lucky charm for you Hari!”

I blinked. {What is he saying?}

“Excuse me sir …?” I asked him politely.

“The project which you have been working for …” I nodded.
“It has been approved by the Central Government, as it is the one among the best 5 in our country! You should be leaving to Delhi in a week.”

“What?”

I was overwhelmed by joy. {Is this true? Is she really my lucky charm? I had been working so hard on that project, for almost 2 years. The Indian government, which was planning on digitalisation, had requested all the top private software industries to put forth their ideas. The one which comes up with the most efficient plan, gets special benefits. I had taken up the responsibility in my company, and now it is like my aim has been fulfilled.}

“Yes! So now, you only have a week to make arrangements. Remember, your presentation must be the best!”

I nodded and moved out of his cabin. Every one of my colleagues approached me, congratulating me on my achievement. I was overwhelmed. I wanted to share the news immediately with someone. So I picked my mobile and called the first person who came to my mind … Siri!

{Now why are you calling her?
She is my wife.
Is this the only answer for all the questions?}

But the phone was switched off. I sighed.
{She is in college. But why am I feeling sad and dejected?
Because you wanted to share your happiness with her first.
But I guess I am not as important to her, as she is to me. It serves me right for not thinking of my parents first. I should have called them first. They would always be eager to pick my call.}

I called my parents and they were overjoyed to know the news. I asked them to visit the city, so that I could take their blessings before leaving.

After that, I called Paaru. She literally screeched in the phone, when I told her the news. Shiva too congratulated me. I was lucky to have friends like them. They made my life much better.

I reached home that evening, to find it unlocked.

“Siri!” I called excitedly.

“Hmm” I found a low voice coming from the couch.

“You know what … My project has been selected.”

Her eyes shone for a moment, and I felt happy that our fight finally got over. But her eyes turned cold again.

“So?” {I felt like she slapped me on the face}

“What do you mean by ‘so’?”

“I mean, what should I do?”

{God! What have I done to earn this grudge on me? You hate me, don’t you? That is why you gave me a devil for a wife.}

“My parents are coming tomorrow. Take good care of them. And, please … don’t let them know about our arguments. They will feel bad.”

I rushed to the bedroom and took a shower to calm myself down. When I came out of my room, I found the dinner ready on the dining table. She was sitting there, with tear filled eyes. I felt bad. I cannot bear to see her in tears. {But why do I have to see them often? Am I not a good husband?} I moved to the table.

She looked up to me.

“Don’t worry. I will treat your parents like mine. I respect them.” With that, she was about to leave the table but I held her hand in haste.

“Why are you so … umm … far from me? Don’t distance yourself from me. I am sorry if I hurt you.”

“No you did not hurt me. I am just sad that I am pretending. I don’t want to pretend that I care about you.”

I let out a sigh and started having my dinner. She went to her room. After finishing my dinner, I went to her room, to find her sleeping peacefully on the bed.

{When will she be this peaceful while awake?}

I wrapped her with a duvet and was about to leave, when I heard her muttering in sleep. I moved closer to hear it clearly.

“Hari! … Hari! …” A smile crept on my face.

{She is at least thinking of me in her sleep. But I wonder what is it she is thinking about me?}

“I love you!” I whispered and kissed her forehead. A faint smile formed on her face. I moved back to my room to have a good nap.

################################

A biggggg sorry for such a late update!!!

But hey! ... I have a busyyyyyyyy life ... So ... Please don't be angry ...

Hope you enjoyed the chapter .. I tried to make it long :)