That's sad

“What is this conflict about?”
I pulled her closer to me.

She hugged me “About this”.

“You were debating internally whether to hug me or not?” I felt like laughing.

She looked into my eyes, nodding slowly. I had to laugh out loud.
{Here I am, craving to have her in my arms and there she is, debating whether to hug me or not. Is this some kind of movie?}

“I know. That is why I never did it. I must be looking like a desperate damsel.” She broke the hug.

I immediately pulled her into my arms, with such a force that she bumped into my chest with a yelp.

“Sorry! I did not laugh at you. I was laughing at my condition. Anyways, continue. And yeah, next time you want to hug me, don’t ever think for even a second. Just do it. It is your right and my pleasure.” I winked. She blushed. My phone rang, interrupting the perfect moment between us.

Cursing my fate, I answered the call without even checking the caller ID. “Hello!” I almost shouted, making frustration evident in my tone.

“Umm … Hari, sorry if I have disturbed you, but will you please spare a moment to listen?”

“Principal sir?!” My frustration turned into astonishment as I realised who the caller is.

“Yes Hari. I have a bad news.”

I did not know what to answer. Before I could wonder what it could be, his broken voice answered my unasked question. “Anand sir is no more.”

“Oh!” that is what I could say, which was followed by a long silence. A single tear escaped my eye.

{What makes me cry?
He has never been a good lecturer. Never had he taken one proper class for us.
Never had he taught anything.
It was because of him that many people failed in the subject.
No one respects him.
And he used to trouble students unnecessarily.
People used to literally hate him.
But still, he was your lecturer and you must respect that position, if not the person.
Also, it is not fair to think bad of a departed soul.}

“Hari! Are you fine?”

“Yes …sir. I am. May his soul Rest in Peace.” I wiped away the tear.

“Yes …” After few seconds,
“Hari, I actually called you to ask you for a favour.”

“It would be my pleasure sir. Please order and I will follow.”

“Umm … actually, the problem is that the final year students have their exams approaching and due to the sorrowful demise of Anand sir, who was the sole staff of the department of Computer science, students will have to face lot of troubles during their exams. I don’t want their careers to be at stake. In such a short span, I cannot recruit a permanent lecturer. So if you don’t mind, can you take few classes temporarily, until I recruit staff?”

“Sir … but I am not experienced.”

“Don’t worry about that. I have complete faith in you. I still remember the seminars you used to give during your college days. Just think this as no different from that. Please Hari. Please accept it for the sake of students.”

“You don’t have to plead me this much sir. Hmm … so when should I come?”

“Great. I will make all arrangements. Let us start tomorrow, as it is a Saturday and I hope it is off for you.”

“Yes sir. I work only 5 days a week. So Saturday and Sunday is off.”

“Wonderful. So are you fine with 3:00 pm?”

“Sure sir.”

“Great. So let us meet tomorrow. And thanks a lot.”

“Thanks to YOU, sir, for keeping faith in me. Good night.”

“Good night.”

I cut the call and sighed. The memories of my college life flooded into my head. Reminiscing those wonderful days, I moved to bedroom to find Siri fast asleep. I smiled and lied down beside her.

################################

So .. Anyone had such experience, demise of a teacher or lecturer or a classmate during school or college times?
Please do share by commenting (if that is fine with you).