Silence before Storm

Shiva took the heavy shopping bags from Paaru, while she lovingly locked her arm with his. Ganesh was still sleeping in her arms.

I looked at Siri, who was struggling with her bags. I offered to carry them for her, but she denied it.
{What the hell is wrong with her? I am trying to be nice with her, doing things that I don’t like; just for her, but she …}

Once we all were seated in the car, Shiva turned to me. “So … for lunch?”

I nodded. “Any suggestions?” he asked.

“Nope.”
{My tummy is filled with her affection towards me.}

“Let us go to our favourite restaurant.” Paaru answered excitedly. “Is it fine for you Siri?”

She nodded.

“It is such a beautiful place. We used to meet there regularly to chat and make fun of each other. The whole staff there knows us.” Paaru was looking at Siri with pride in her eyes.

“I like that place too.” Siri whispered.

“What??? You have been there?”

I was not looking at them. But I knew that her question was directed towards me, rather than to Siri. But I found it better to stay quite.

“Yes… we went there once. When I got admission in college.” Her voice was still low. {Why? Is she not happy about it?
Why will she? You created such a fuss there with your silly fight.}

I suddenly had the great urge to go back home. But I cannot answer the questions of Paaru later.
{She should have been a CID officer!} So I chose the best option … TURNING DEAF.

“We reached.”
{Shiva! My saviour again.}

I got down the car, breathing in the fresh air again.
{Being in there with those ladies chattering about you, is umm … suffocating.}

As usual, we were greeted by the friendly staff. They led us to a table by the pool, our usual hangout spot.
I noticed Shiva pulling the chair for Paaru, who had Ganesh sleeping, in her arms. {I guess I have to be formal too!}

I tried to follow his action but my luck was so good, Siri pulled her chair and sat down without even noticing me. {And I am left to look like a joker here, standing behind her chair for no reason!} To cover up my stupidity, I moved towards the washroom, washed my face and went back. Meanwhile, they started ordering for food.

“What do you want Hari?” Paaru asked.

“You know!” I told her. She smiled and ordered for me.

“And Siri!” She turned towards my wife, who casually nodded and said “Same.”

“Wow! Look at them! Both have the same taste and follow each other so well!” Paaru squeaked. I rolled my eyes. {If only you knew how much she follows me!} I sighed.

“Why do you sigh so much now-a-days?” Paaru asked again.

“I have contracted a disease called marriage.”

{Oh no … no … no! Someone is in trouble now.
Go to hell. I am already frustrated.
Because you are expecting too much from her.
I just want to see her smile. I want to be the one to make her happy. If that is too much, then maybe I am expecting too much. But there is nothing wrong in that, I guess.
But …
I am not a saint. I am just a normal human, with my own desires and wishes, which when not fulfilled, will lead to frustration and depression. I am fed up of waiting for her. And here, you too support her. If you can, shut up. Or else, get out of my life … and take her away too, with you. You love her so much right!
If she moves out of your life once, it might be forever. Just confirm to me, that you don’t love her, then let go of her. But can you afford it?
Umm … No! Maybe I cannot live without her.
Then you shut up and listen to me.
Go to hell.
After you.}

I had an intense urge to strangulate that irritating voice in my head, but unfortunately, it spoke the truth all the time. And if I lose it, I might lose my senses and become a beast. That was the only thing controlling me. I sighed again.

The lunch was silent. {Wow! My single statement could shut everyone up.
Don’t rejoice already. This is the silence before the storm.
Are you sure?
101%
What should I do now?
Be ready to face it.
Thanks!
I can understand your sarcasm. But I accept your ‘thanks’ anyways, because I deserve it.}

We finished our lunch silently and Shiva dropped us home. I plopped myself on the couch and started praying that the inevitable be delayed. I am in no mood to argue with her again.

Fortunately, or unfortunately, she never spoke a word to me and I was left analysing whether her silence is more dangerous, or her shouting. The whole evening passed the same way.
At night she served me dinner.

“You?” I asked.

“Am not well.”

“What happened?”

“I am tired and feel nauseated. Don’t worry. This is common for me.”

“Is it because of the food? Shall I get you some medicines?”

“I told you that it is normal. Why do you poke your nose into my personal problems?”

“The last I know, I was given the responsibility of taking good care of you as a husband, by your parents.” I said, trying best to not let my anger seep out.

“You won’t understand.”

“Maybe I will, if you explain to me?” I tried to assure her, by placing my hand on her shoulder.

“I have my cycles.”

She stormed out of the room and it took a while for me to understand what she meant.

################################

Hope the story is not getting boring.

If it is (even if it isn't) ... Please take a moment to read further.

I want to tell you guys that I haven't been very well since about half a year. And I don't expect to get better anytime soon. However, I am taking treatment, so I will be better eventually (no need to worry).

I am giving all this information, just as a justification for the delay in updates.

So I am requesting my dear readers not to be too critical or judgemental regarding me and my stories.

If you don't like it, you can stop reading. This content hasn't costed you a penny, so there is no loss or no force. But please don't be rude. I can't take it in my present situation of health.

Writing is not my profession. It is a passion. And that is the only reason why I am still giving updates; regardless of my personal condition.

Anyways ... Everything is going to be fine.

So keep smiling.