protective // 29

I didn't think playing in a losing game would be less sad than watching a losing game, but seeing the boy's club work so hard and thinking they're going to win... only to see their game being taken away from them was heart wrenching. I was sad seeing them so heartbroken afterwards. Partially out of guilt for talking to that guy who approached me. He was Seijoh's setter, Oikawa Toru, I found out. He was the upperclassman Tobio had mentioned.

It had been a week since then, and everyone was working very hard to improve. After a while, I actually started having fun being their assistant manager. Shimizu really roped me into something I didn't think I was going to enjoy. As much as I hate to admit, I would've rather been there in the gym being a helper than sulking at home doing nothing. I encouraged them to keep improving and they did the same for me. I was beginning to test weight on my ankle, and they gave me some time to work by myself in front of the gym door. Although, as I leaned on my crutches watching them go through drills I could tell I was stalling. I wanted to be better, I wanted to be off my crutches and walking again, but part of me was afraid to discover that the pain was still there waiting to ruin my progress.

I took a deep breath of the sweet evening breeze blowing in through the gym door. Summer break was right around the corner. I could already imagine Tanaka and Noya telling me to buck up, 'Quit stalling! It just takes one step to get started!' They already got on my ass yesterday for chickening out of my exercises. But they were right. I looked at my ankle brace strewn on the floor, the anchor holding me in my stagnant pond of no progress.

It just takes one step...

Leaning on my crutches, I slowly put my foot down, just about to meet the hardwood.

"BOO!" A person jumped through the gym door, scaring the crap out of me! A yelp escaped my throat as I fell backwards. At first I was pissed, whipping my head up to see none other than Kojima Subaru laughing at what he did.

I scoffed, "Kojima! What the hell?! What are you doing here??"

"Sorry- sorry! I was looking for you, Toshiko." He laughed, wiping a tear and calming himself. He was kind of a jerk sometimes, but he made it seem like he didn't mean it. He only seemed rude because he was kind of dumb about it. Thinking everything was joke. Being friends with him was kind of tiring. But over the course of that week I had started to get used to it.  I mean, I kinda HAD to get used to it - the dude wouldn't leave me alone. I was still confused about him though, after he told me how he thought I was cute... "Oh my, let me help you." Before I could even object, this boy leaned down and hoisted me to my feet. He was tightly gripping my sides and lower back, but his hands were lower than I would have liked. I squirmed uncomfortably, but he held me in place as he retrieved the crutches I dropped.

"There we are~!" He cooed, finally releasing me when I had a firm handle on my walking aids. I mumbled a thanks before putting a foot of space between us. Awkward...

"So, Toshiko... when will you be walking normal again?" He asked, leaning against the wall and effectively blocking the gym door.

"Eh? Oh, well if everything goes right I should be off my crutches next week..."

"Is that right? Next week is perfect~!"

"Um... perfect for what?"

"Perfect for you to go on a date with me! Whadya say??" He smiled after brushing his hair out of his eyes. I was completely shocked. I began tripping over my words, not sure how to handle his straightforwardness. Not even sure what to say to him. A date?? That's crazy! We're barely friends! I've never even been on a date before...

As I stood there with my mouth open dumbly I noticed his suave and flirty face quickly changed. His eyebrows quirked up suddenly, he looked nervous. Soon I knew why, for a looming presence appeared close behind me. It was Daichi and the other third year boys.