the misunderstandings of an oblivious heart // 53

~ Toru Oikawa~

"Uncle Toru... you look weird when you smile like that."

"Hm? What are you talking about? I'm not smiling." I replied dreamily, half-listening.

He pointed at me with arched eyebrows as we walked towards the steps. "That face, you've been making it all morning. Are you sick?" Slowly his questioning pulled me out of my fantastical haze and back to the present.

Huh... what does have me so cheerful?

"O-Oikawa?!" A new voice broke my curiosity. "What are you doing here?" It was little Tobio.

I couldn't help but smirk. "Ah, if it isn't Tobio-chan. I'm taking my nephew to volleyball camp. We don't usually have practice on Mondays."

"Hah?! That's such a waste!"

"Taking a break and skipping are two different things." I scoffed while walking past him. "Let's go, Takeru."

I felt pretty good about myself as I ignored his pleas to hear him out. Then out of nowhere he followed us onto the stairs bowing and begging to help him! Of course I had to get a photo.

"Fine. Now that that's out of the way, what is it Tobio-chan?"

"Hinata wants to hit the ball, the quick, of his own will. But all this time he's hit it with his eyes closed! I swear he's only doing this trying to impress her..."

He mumbled that last part with pure jealousy, couldn't sneak that past me. All at once I suddenly understood just who little Toshiko was talking about last week, who she was giving 'their space.'

"Huh," I chuckled. "Well, did you even consider letting him? Or did you tell him to just do what you say?"

His face twisted in a grimace as I continued. "Because if that's the case then you're no different from the dictating king you were in middle school. And she wouldn't be too impressed by that side of you..."

Tobio paled, staring at me wide-eyed. "Wait! She...? Don't tell me you know who I'm talking about."

"I have a good idea." A grin of pettiness couldn't be suppressed. "It wouldn't happen to be the girl I had a wonderful time with at the amusement park, would it? The same girl who's been going to practice at Aoba Johsai all week instead of Karasuno?" I dangled the image of Toshiko spending time with me instead of him in front of his face, watching his expression turn more and more sour.

Suddenly my own image popped in my head: an image of dear Toshiko, upset by me bullying him and using her that way. I put this conversation with Tobio to an end and guided my nephew further down the steps.

"Is that the same girl that you're taking to the movies later? That's why you're making a weird face, huh?"

"Ssssh! Takeru!" I shushed him and glanced over my shoulder. A teetering form stood rigid and distraught before abruptly rushing away.

Better luck next time, Tobio...

xxx

"Oh man! That movie was awesome!" Toshiko raved as we walked down a dimly lit city street. "The way the aliens came down like 'WOOSH' and had their lasers like 'PEW, PEW, PEW!'