suga's fuzzy blanket stretches // 10

Shouyou and I did end up being the first ones to the gym and an unexpected race with Kageyama sealed that victory. He seemed peeved that the two of us got the advantage over him, but he only yelled at Hinata; my small ginger friend clung to my back when I told Kageyama to lay off. Soon everyone was there and an upperclassmen with the keys opened the gym for the players to warm up and stretch before the coach arrived. Sugawara approached as I stretched by a wall and we exchanged smiles.

"Good morning, Toshiko." His voice was silky and kind like always.

"Morning, Suga-senpai!" I returned, he stood at my side as we watched everyone warming up on the court.

"Are you looking forward to the training camp? You ate breakfast, right?" He asked as I moved to stretch a new muscle group.

"Definitely! And yes, I hope you're also taking care of yourself?"

"Ah- I... yes." He stammered and chuckled to himself. "I wasn't expecting a response like that."

While bent over stretching my hamstrings, I looked upwards at him, surely a sight like that was odd. But in that moment I didn't mind looking strange. He made me feel undeniably comfortable. "I noticed you always go around taking care of other people, I'm sure it can feel exhausting to assume that responsibility - I wanted to make sure you take care of yourself as much as others!" I smiled wide at him with a giggle, my words surprised him a bit. Despite this, he gave me a warm smile with half-closed eyes. Being around him felt like being wrapped in a fuzzy blanket. Suga observed me as I stood to my full height, which was at his eye level; I put my hands on my lower spine and leaned back in an attempt to stretch. He laughed and shook his head at me.

"Let me help you stretch your back." As he spoke he linked my arms with his, making my back firmly press against his own. And before I could even say anything my feet were dangling off the ground; I was at the mercy of his timing.

"One... two... three... four..."

He smelled of vanilla, but spicier. As if he had some delectable breakfast before showing up for practice. Though he was acting casually, my heart was beating a million miles a minute.

"Five... six... seven..."

He slowly announced the numbers in a low voice - I swear I could almost hear him grinning mischievously.

"Eight... nine... ten..."

The vibrations when he spoke went through his rib cage and made my back tingle. My face was red hot from blushing, it felt like he was counting slowly just to mess with me.

"Eleven... tweeelve~!"

Then - gently - he set me down and motioned me to follow him to the group. Ukai was calling everyone over.

He gave me no time to react! Now I gotta pull myself together and make sure Ukai doesn't banish me for acting stupid!

"Listen up!" Ukai said loudly. "Is everyone stretched and warmed up?" We all said yes in unison. I ended up in the back of the group next to Sugawara, and could hear him laugh under his breath as I tried to see the coach from behind all the tall boys in front of me . Ukai noticed this as he spoke and almost couldn't hold back a laugh. "If you need to see, move to the front with the other shorties, kid." The crowd of guys split open to me, with all of them softly snickering as my soul wanted to escape the embarrassment. I only managed a nasty look to Tsukishima, who's face basically said 'Ah, look at this pathetic small child.' I weaved through the boys and hovered next to Hinata, who gave me a sympathetic look.

"Don't mind." He whispered to me. Instinctively I stepped closer and stood halfway behind him as a way to seem hidden from the rest of the eyes watching me now. I fidgeted with the bottom of my t-shirt as I listened to the rest of what the coach had to say.

xxx

It felt like the first part of drills ended quickly, even though we went through many of them. I felt like I was doing well, easily keeping up with most of the group. Ukai did give me some ways to improve during the drills though. And now I was in the middle of this group of boys running on the road. At first, I tried to run next to Hinata because I was most comfortable around him, but all of a sudden he and Kageyama were caught in a race. Daichi and Suga were having their own conversation about how ridiculous the other two boys can be. I considered slowing to the back to run with Yamaguchi and aquatint myself with him more, but of course he was with Tsukishima. I knew for a fact he would have a comment for everything I did. And I wouldn't be able to stop myself from bickering.

Maybe I shouldn't get into it with him right now, as fun as that sounds.

While thinking about which friend I'd be more comfortable running with, I was unexpectedly greeted by someone else.

"Yo! You're the transfer girl from the states, right?" A boy that was a few inches shorter than me was suddenly running by my side. I was surprised to see his actual height so close. During last week's practices I noticed him, but somehow never had the chance to formally meet him. I assumed Suga or Daichi must have put his number in my phone. All I knew was that he was the team's libero. His spiked brown hair bounced as he ran at my pace, I liked the blonde streak he had in it.

"Yeah that's me. Name's Jackson Toshiko, but just call me by my first name. I don't think we've had the chance to meet yet."

"Oh!! Jackson! Jack-son- Sounds badass! I'm Nishinoya Yu! Seen how you play during practice, your receives are awesome! Where'd you learn to do that?" He gave me a genuine smile after sounding out my last name and talking a million miles a minute. However his compliments caused me to return his grin.

"My aunt Angie taught me. She coached me ever since I was little. And she used to be a star player for a big college team back in her day." A twinge of homesickness gripped my lungs.

"Oooh, sounds like you were learning from some real expertise! ...Angie Jackson," he deepened his voice, sounding like a sports announcer, "Wow! Sounds like she's a badass too!" As he talked he looked back, suddenly scowling. "Oi, Asahi! You better not be slackin' off! Gotta get back all that time you skipped!" While running I couldn't look back, but I knew who Asahi Azumane was. The big guy with a man bun and a timid nature. His hits were the only ones I still couldn't receive perfectly. My heart burned to beat him.

Maybe that guy is my rival until I can dig his hits...

"Hey! You're having dinner with the team tonight, right?" Tanaka was running on my other side now, suddenly I found myself boxed in by the obnoxious second-years. "Can't waste a wonderful meal hand-crafted by our angel, Kiyoko." He spoke in a singsong voice when talking about their manager, Shimizu. I found it funny.

"That's right! You're training with us, you need to eat with us!" Yu chimed in, nudging my arm. I stuttered, not sure what to say.

"Eh- I shouldn't impose... after all I was invited just to train and work on skills. I don't wanna take away from a time when your team could be bonding... trust and bonds are important for a team after all."

"Nonsense! For this training camp you're one of us. Besides, we should make sure you're eating right after such vigorous practice! Isn't that right Daichi?" Tanaka enthusiastically patted my back as he talked and smiled in the captain's direction. When I looked at him myself, I saw a hint of a grin as he looked over his shoulder to the three of us.

"Ah, I say it's fine that you join us for dinner. Though, I'm sure you'd rather be bonding with your own team." Daichi's statement made me feel flustered and worried. Unsure if my previous statement made me sound ungrateful.

"It's not - not like that! I mean yes, I'd like to be training and bonding with my teammates... but, I'm thankful that I have the opportunity to be here!"

"Good! Then show us your gratitude by eating with us!" Noya karate chopped my side, nearly making me lose my breath.

"*Ow! Hey!*" I attempted to chop him back, but he jumped out of the way and picked up his pace. "Get back here, Nishinoya!" I began to run after him and tried to get him back, but he evaded my swats. Tanaka laughed loudly at the display. Despite trying to attack him, I couldn't help but laugh.

Is this what being close with your teammates is like...? This is fun!