timing is important // 21

"Kageyama! Teach me how to jump serve before my next game!" I couldn't help the desperation that laced my voice, but the determination in my heart was unstoppable.

We managed to win the game in two straight sets, but they were able to receive my serves so easily. I needed a more powerful way to attack when alone on the end line. And Tobio Kageyama was the only jump server I knew. He was here, right in front of me. And I made that request even though it made me nervous to talk to him. He could look intimidating without meaning to. When he agreed to show me I was relieved, I smiled at him before turning back to Shouyou and the others who were incessantly calling me over. I noticed how annoyed Tsukishima looked as well... but that was no surprise. He was always annoyed.

"Toshiko! You guys did so good! I told you there was nothing to worry about! Your blocks were awesome! You were like WOOSH and BOOM! And you smacked it down like BAM!" Hinata's excitement and sound effects made me laugh. Daichi and the other club members began complimenting me as well. A couple of them teased me about hiding my hurt ankle.

"Way to keep a level head out there, young grasshopper!" Tanaka said as he sauntered over and pinched my left cheek. Noya flanked my opposite side and gripped my right cheek between his thumb and finger as well. They playfully tugged on them.

"Eh, I say I would've won a receiving contest." Noya teased. I rolled my eyes at him.

"That's debatable." I grumbled, but due to them holding my cheeks my speech came out warbled and funny. They laughed at my attempts at talking before I smacked their hands away, but couldn't hide my laughter.

"Besides, I couldn't have done anything without my teammates. They're the real stars here. We're all gonna keep working hard and keep winning!" I smiled brightly at them, they giggled and shyly took the compliments that I averted to them. There was a tap on my shoulder.

"Toshiko. Let's go find an empty area where I can teach you a jump serve." Kageyama was close behind me, gazing intensely with his deep blue eyes. I blushed a little.

Alone with him...? Well, if that's what it takes to learn the serve.

"Uh- just a minute Kageyama." Michi interjected. "Toshiko. It's risky to try and learn something new this close to the next game. Are you sure it's a good idea?"

"Of course, Captain! I don't want us to lose the next game because my serves are too easy to receive... I think it's worth the risk! And besides, if I can't accomplish it, I won't attempt it in the game." She nodded in understanding and sent me off, mingling with the boy's club and Takeda. Before I could go follow Tobio, I was stopped.

"Hold on." It was Tsukishima, towering over me with his hands in his pockets.

"What's up, Shittyshima?" I turned to face him, he was surprisingly close to me. He spoke with a quiet voice.

"Feeling better?"

"You care so much to ask~?" I teased.

"Tch. Don't get your hopes up. Just wondering if you're done being an emotional little girl." He snickered at my subsequent reaction to his words.

"What's wrong with you?! Ya know what why did I even bother opening up to you??" I raised my voice at him, garnering the attention of a few wandering eyes. He took a step back in shock.

"Wait, that's not-"

"Not what?!" I interrupted him. "Not what you meant??" I mocked what he had said to me in the bathroom once before. "*Jesus* Tsukishima Kei. One day you're gonna have to learn that the intent of your words are different from the impact they have." As I spoke I ripped off my sneaker and untied the brace, thrusting it into his hands once I got it off. "Go get your money back for it or something, jackass! I don't want it anymore."