watchful eyes of the king // 8

"I'm kinda pissed at my teammates." I said with a furrowed brow and an angry swing at the ball, Shouyou barely kept it in the pepper session.

"Eh? What for, Toshiko?"

"Because!" I said as I set the ball to him. "They're taking your guy's training camp as an excuse to slack off!" He gave a concerned look after hitting the ball to me.

"So they're not gonna have any practice because of golden week?"

I sighed and shook my head. "Michimiya said that it would be good to take a small brake from practice, and apparently some girls have other commitments, so taking time off during golden week makes sense. But not to me! I don't think she scolds them enough as a captain!" Hinata caught the ball and looked at me seriously. There was a sound around the corner far behind us, but I payed no mind to it.

"You shouldn't say things like that about the seniors." He always had such an unwavering respect for the second and third-years, almost a blind admiration. His statement made me look away in slight guilt and I rubbed the back of my neck.

"It's not like I don't respect my upperclassmen." I grumbled, looking back into his big childish eyes. "Michi is my friend, ya know? I just think she should make the girls care more about the club sometimes... I joined the team because I wanted to play volleyball and become great. I want to go far with volleyball. It's the only way I can..." I trailed off, the attention he was giving me was appreciated - he was a good listener - but I didn't want to say something too deep and weird him out. Our friendship was growing surprisingly fast, but I still had only known him for a week.

"I just want to be stronger, I'm constantly finding ways to improve my skills. Ever since my aunt showed me the sport when I was a kid, you could find me with a volleyball somewhere, not being able to sit still. I don't want my training to stagnate, so this news about a break from practice is just..." I hesitated, not knowing the right word to use.

"Disappointing?" Shouyou chimed in, he looked like he understood me, like he sympathized with me. Feigning a smile, I walked over to him and gently took the ball out of his hands, staring at it because it was easier than making eye contact in that moment. If he looked into my eyes then, I felt like he would've been able to see every unsaid word in my soul.

"Yeah... disappointing."

xxx

My gym bag slumped down my shoulder as she told me the news. Yui bluffed a laugh with a guilty look on her face, "Forgive me, Toshi." She said, not really looking to my eyes. "Most of the other girls admitted that they wouldn't come tonight, so I just made the decision to start the brake one day early."

I felt the heat of frustration crawling up my throat, making it tight. She could tell I was upset and she hung her head in shame with a big sigh. "Toshiko, I'm sorry. I understand how you feel. I know I'm not strict enough with them. But taking a short brake from practice won't be so bad-"

"Yes it will!" I shouted, sounding more mean than I meant to. On her face I saw it took her by surprise. After a deep breath to calm down I continued. "The Inter-high Tournament is coming up soon, right? We should be focusing on winning games and going as far as we can. The only way to get better is to practice and train. As a team. In the end, their lack of commitment is not your fault, Michi." With gentle fingers under her chin I lifted her head and squeezed her shoulder to quell the tears in her eyes. "We should all work hard after the brake, see you later." I smiled to comfort her before adjusting my bag and heading to the gym.

If nothing else, I can just use an empty corner to myself during practice. Hopefully they'll let me do at least that.

xxx

I peppered with myself against a wall in a far corner while the other guys were warming up before practice, I sort of sneaked to my corner without talking to anyone after changing in the club room.

It's not like I'm hiding, but it won't be long before someone comes up to me and kicks me out or something...

"Oi, you're Toshiko, right?" A gruff voice from behind startled me. It was a man I vaguely recognized as the new coach for the boys team. And the guy who runs the little convenience store I frequented. Ukai Keishin. Apparently the name 'Ukai" was legendary to that school. He stood with his hands on his hips and smelled like a freshly put out cigarette. My form was rigid when I turned to face him, feeling uncomfortable from never formally meeting him before.

"Yes, I'm Toshiko Jackson-" My voice warbled nervously, though I didn't mean to sound timid. I even said my name out of order by mistake and I felt my cheeks begin to warm up from embarrassment. However, he gave me a warm grin.

"Hey, kid, don't look so nervous. I just came over to tell you something I think you'd like to hear." That helped me ease up, I stood more comfortably with the volleyball against my hip. Strangely, he seemed like a trustworthy adult. "One of my players came up to me before practice and explained the situation you're in with your team. Seeing you here in the corner practicing by yourself proved their point. So, I have a proposition. Work your hardest in practice tonight and show me you can keep up with these boys - and I'll let you train with us for golden week."

My chest puffed up with pure happiness. I couldn't hold back a smile. "You mean it? Hinata told you about my team? I owe him a curry bun or something!" Ukai raised an eyebrow and crossed his arms in front of his chest, the material of his jumper making sounds as he moved.

"Hah? Hinata? He's not the one who approached me." Now it was my turn to be confused. The coach cocked his head back over his shoulder and pointed his thumb behind him. "It was Kageyama." My eyes widened in disbelief, and I quickly surveyed the court to look at the boy in question, only to catch him turning his head to face away from us.

Has he been watching the whole time?