Chapter III - Enter Stage Left

After getting dressed and eating what you could despite your nerves, you stepped out of your apartment ready for whatever was about to happen.

Your walk to the precinct was uneventful, apart from a small child running up to you thinking you were his mother. His actual mother showed up seconds after him, picking him up. He responded to this with his arms waving about and an abundance of happy giggles. You smiled at the sight of his goofy grin and bright eyes as his mother apologised for what had actually brightened up your day. You chuckled as his small hand gave you a wave goodbye, before looking at your watch and realising you would have to pick up the pace if you wanted to be on time for your first day.

Arriving at the nine-nine with time to spare put a smile on your face. It was swiftly taken back when you saw the state of the lift you were about to step in. Sure, it didn't have an 'out of order' sign on it, but you looked at it sceptically wondering if it would be safe or not. Whilst you were standing at the doors looking in a short, friendly-looking man stepped past you and onto the lift. He looked at you before saying "Are you getting on, or should I shut the door?"

You looked at the lift again, even more sceptically, before finally deciding that if he was going to get on then you would too.

"Yes, sorry. It's my first day, I'm still a little lost"

He smiled at you before the doors shut.

"So where are you trying to get to?" he asked with genuine sincerity in his voice.

"Oh umm, I'm a new detective. I was told to head to the Bullpen. Do you know where that is?" You say slightly stuttering as you speak. God, you didn't realise how utterly nervous you were until faced with a question. Before you could overthink this interaction anymore, you get interrupted by the short man who seems to have exploded with excitement. He smashes the button for the fourth floor and then looks back at you.

"You're the new detective?!?" He gasps practically shaking the elevator with his erratic movements. "I'm a detective too. Charles Boyle. Although everyone just calls me Boyle. They say it suits me better."

You look at him with a smile, before extending your hand "I'm Y/N, Y/N L/N" you chuckle as he completely ignores your hand and brings you in for a hug.

"Sorry" he mumbles looking back at you standing in complete shock. "I'm a hugger and sometimes I just get too excited and forget to ask if it's okay"

You look at him with a grin before adding "Actually I think I needed that."

Before he can once again respond the doors open to what you can only assume is the Bullpen.

As you step out you hear an all too familiar voice that makes your whole face light up.

"Y/N! Y/N! I can't believe it's really you."

You look straight forward to see your old college roommate and best friend, Amy Santiago.

Before you can respond she runs straight through the gate and pulls you into a hug.

"I can't believe it's really you. Talking over the phone and FaceTime is not the same as actually getting to hug you"

You let out a small giggle before pulling away from the hug to properly talk to your friend.

"I know I can't believe it's been over two years." You squeal before looking at her more sadly. "I'm sorry I didn't visit you in the three months I've been back though. I was told to not be in too much contact with anyone in the police force. Something about safety and all that"

She looks back at you with a smile "Don't be sorry you silly goose Y/N. I'm just glad to finally see you again. And besides, it wasn't your fault and now we have even more to catch up on."

You look at her happily. One of the reasons she was your friend was because she always managed to see the good in everything.

As you went to respond to her with an idea of when you could hang out, you were cut off by a stern monotone voice.

"Ah Y/N, I see you have already become acquainted with some of the detectives."

You looked past Amy to see a rigid, yet welcoming man in captain's uniform.

"Oh, Captain Holt. I... um... lovely to meet you..." you blurt before bringing your hand to your forehead and saluting him. As you look at the confusion around the room you immediately lower your hand sheepishly and hear Amy trying her very best not to laugh.

After feeling the red in your cheeks slowly go down, you walk over to your new captain. "I'm terribly sorry Captain Holt. Detective L/N" You let out a sigh of relief as you shake his hand and move to the side.

"Santiago" Your new captain commands. "You know Y/N, please introduce her to the rest of the squad."

Amy watches Holt walk back into his office before jokingly giving you a small salute. You can already feel the red returning to your cheeks as Amy starts to introduce everyone.

"That's Hitchcock" She states, pointing at a short bald man who is already eating a plate of wings despite it being 9 in the morning.

"And next to him is Skully" pointing at a taller man who was digging into the same plate of wings with his bare feet out.

"Not the most helpful, but part of our crazy family."

She looks at you to make sure you're still paying attention before moving on.

"Everyone's favourite Sargent, Terry Jeffords" she says proudly pointing at a man who must've been at least 6'3" and was built like a brick outhouse. His enormous frame towered over you as he smiled.

"I'm looking forward to working with you L/N. Amy has said many wonderful things."

You just about manage an awkward thumbs up before Amy starts speaking again.

"That's Rosa Diaz. She's not one for talking and I wouldn't get on her bad side"

The woman Amy was gesturing to let out a small huff of approval before going back to her computer to work. You look at her in awe. Her dark curly hair falls perfectly, capturing her face. As you focus more on her features you truly realise how beautiful she is. You're brought back into reality by her aggressively bashing her computer monitor and then hurling it at the ground.

"I'll pay for that" she states before throwing a handful of cash at the now destroyed computer.

"That's Rosa for you" Amy chuckles before carrying on with her introductions.

"Boyle you met on the elevator and if you couldn't guess by now the goofy one with the stupid smile is my boyfriend Jake."

You look at the man Amy is so clearly in love with and pull him into a hug. He hugs you back with a boyish grin on his face that lights up the whole room.

"You know it's crazy to hear so much about Amy's amazing best friend and never actually meet her" Jake says in a joking manner looking at you and then back at Amy. "So good to finally meet the elusive Y/N who was the reason my girlfriend actually had fun in college rather than reading and studying the entire time."

You look down embarrassed by the attention that was now on you, but deep down you were just happy to be so welcome in this precinct.

"Well, that's all the detectives, but..." Amy begins but gets cut off by Crazy in Love being blasted from a speaker near Holt's office.

As the music gets louder you hear an unknown female's voice from behind you.

"She left out the best" the voice echoes as a confident woman with long auburn hair dances up to you. "Greetings from everyone's favourite Sagittarius... Gina Linetti!"

You look at her in shock as she continues to prance around you in an eccentric and mesmerising fashion.

"Oh yes, this is Gina. Holt's assistant" Amy says dully.

You hear the music stop as Gina walks up to you.

"I am more than an assistant. I am a being beyond what your mind can comprehend Amy" she exclaims before walking over to her desk by Holt's office.

You let out a sigh of relief before looking back at Amy. "I think I 'm going to like it here" you tell her, glancing at Rosa as you say it.