Chapter XV - Almost Stolen

You and Rosa had decided on going to lunch at a small café on the outskirts of Brooklyn. Rosa insisted on taking your car, but only to show Jake that he now didn't have the coolest car in the office. Amy found it hilarious watching Jake completely gobsmacked at the sight of your car until remembering she would be the one to console him when you left for lunch.

The café was small, with delightful wooden tables and homemade bunting. Everything was light and pastel with light grey undertones. Plants effortlessly hung from the walls as you both glance in. It was slightly eclectic, yet everything seemed to be in the right place. You decided to get a table by the window because you loved people watching and Rosa just loved judging people.

Now sat looking at the menu, you thanked the gods you liked avocado because it was in every single menu item. Rosa turned her nose up at the menu calling it 'pretentious', before realising they had a really nice salad she wanted. You decided to go for the soup of the day, but you would've ordered anything on the menu to spend time with Rosa.

As you began talking, you felt Rosa place her hand in yours.

"So, Y/N, when can we go on another evening date? Preferably not on a work night this time."

"I honestly don't think we're gonna be able to until this case is finished. Maybe celebratory dinner once we've finished?"

"As much as I hate to agree, as I would love for our next proper date to be sooner, you're probably right. Guess it gives us something to look forward to."

As the words left Rosa's mouth, you look outside to see someone standing near your car. He looked left and right before pulling out a wire hook.

"Rosa could you hold that thought for one second..." you say before getting out of your seat as fast as you could and making a beeline towards your car.

As the guy saw you start to run up to him, he began to panic, trying to pull the wire back out of your car.

"NYPD FREEZE"

You held up your badge, hoping he would stop. Unfortunately, he didn't and began sprinting down the road, quickly followed by you. You start chasing him down roads and alleys before he gets ready to vault a fence. Luckily, this gives you enough time to catch up to him. Grabbing him by the collar as he is halfway up, you cuff him and then drag him all the way back to where you and Rosa should've been having a nice meal.

"Don't worry Y/N, I've already called backup. They'll be here in a couple of minutes."

"Ah, perfect thanks Diaz."

"We really can't go out on our lunch break without something going wrong can we"

You smiled thinking back to the drunk cyclist and then looking over to your latest arrest who was now cuffed to a pillar near you and Rosa.

"I wouldn't have it any other way" you chuckle, kissing Rosa on the cheek quickly before the cop car approaching can see you.

A uniformed officer made his way to the 'wannabe car thief', shoving him in the back of the car, before walking over to you to get an explanation. You do a quick rundown of what happened before walking back into the café with Rosa.

You spend the rest of your lunch break eating and getting lost in mindless chatter, occasionally glancing back at your car now paranoid.