Chapter IX - Stake out, Make out

~~Time skip 3 months~~

You and Rosa had been getting closer over the past months, mainly due to the fact you were sharing a case together, but also because you were one of the only people in the entire precinct that Rosa properly tolerated. It had taken you until now to realise this as she didn't even complain about going on a stake out with you.

Now sat close together in an unmarked car, you looked over to her before attempting to focus back on the building you were both trying to watch. This proved more difficult for you as you had the attention span of a puppy and the woman you had the biggest crush on was sat next to you.

"Hey Y/N, how about to pass the time we ask each other questions"

Shocked, as Rosa was the most private person you knew, you agreed.

"Okay but you go first Rosa I'm terrible at thinking of questions on the spot."

"Hmmm, okay. How did you know you were gay?"

"I was watching an Avengers movie and just realised I thought the whole cast was really hot. Honestly, I only say I'm gay because I haven't found a label that really fits me yet, I just know some people are attractive as hell."

Rosa let out a small chuckle at your answer.

"Okay, your question Y/N"

"Oooohhh, what's your favourite weapon?"

"Damn Y/N nice question. Well, the classics, knives, and swords are always a shout, so clean and elegant. Recently I've really been liking nunchucks, they're fun and you have to rely more on your own skill rather than the weapon itself. The baseball bat is the all-American classic and there's a simple childish nature to smashing sh*t with it. Honestly, I don't think I could ever truly decide. Hmmm, guns are probably my least favourite. A complete killing machine no matter who's holding it and there's a scary chaos to them."

"Wow. I didn't realise there was such an art to each one but when you put it like that, it really makes me want to buy a baseball bat."

You continue to ask questions to each other, each time getting slightly more personal. You didn't want to push it but there was one question that had been on your mind all night.

"Okay, Rosa my turn. This one is the most personal yet so if you don't want to answer it I understand."

"Y/N you really think you can break me?"

"Be careful what you say there Rosa, you haven't heard my question yet. Okay, here it is...
Have you ever had a crush on anyone in the nine-nine?"

A dark red flush covered Rosa's face as you sit in silence.

"Well, I hadn't..."

You look down disappointed.

"Until about three months ago"

Glancing up you see Rosa's eyes locked onto yours.

"Y/N, I'm sorry if you don't feel the same and I'll never speak of it again if you don't, but I like you. So much it almost hurts."

Before she can say anything else, you reach over to the other side of the car holding her face in yours and pull her into you. Her lips are soft as they graze yours as you feel her hand around the back of your neck pulling you into a passionate kiss. As your lips touch you finally understand what Amy meant all the times she talked about Jake. You slowly open your eyes as you stop the kiss, your head still directly opposite Rosa's, staring into her beautiful brown eyes. You suddenly feel the car lurch back and realise you were leaning on the handbrake. Rosa quickly pulls it back up before smiling back at you.

"Could we keep this private for now? It's just, I'm not out yet." Rosa asks, her whole demeanour changing briefly to a nervous mumbling wreck.

"Of course, didn't want anyone knowing I kissed your ugly mug anyway." You chuckle trying to lighten the mood and reassure her at the same time. You looked back to see her relaxed and smiling again. Rosa tries to fake being hurt and angry at what you've just said but fails miserably.

"So rude. I should probably drop your ungrateful ass home; it's getting late and you're no fun when you're grumpy."

"You're one to talk" you say playfully hitting her arm. She huffs before driving away, both of you trying not to grin from ear to ear after the kiss.