4 | Remembrances

"Look Eddy!"

Brett came rushing over to him with what looked like a conch shell in the palm of his hand, he jumped excitedly as he extended his hand out directly towards Eddy's face so he could see.

He scrunched up his face at the ridiculous proximity of the dirty conch shell and his face, backing away a bit so the sand stuck onto it wouldn't make contact with his skin. Disgusting.

Brett on the other hand, didn't seem to mind the dirty sand at all, his legs were covered with it and some of it was even in his hair, not to mention how he was excitedly going from playing on the shore to playing on the sand.

"Eddy!" Brett called out once again, this time he was standing on a tall rock that was deeper into the sea, his hands spread out as an invitation for Eddy to go over to him.

Eddy did so reluctantly, putting down the pail and shovel he was using in order to attempt to make a sand castle, one of those dramatically beautiful ones they always showed in cartoons and what not. You know- the utterly impossible ones.

He slowly dipped a foot into the ice cold water, trying to get his body used to the feeling little by little rather than going for it right away, he knew if he did that- the muscles in his body would ache for days on end. He had seen the way Brett had ran into the water the second they arrived, he didn't even take the time to apply sunscreen or change into his swimming trunks, he figured it was fine with the shorts he was already wearing and the plain blue t-shirt he had pulled over just that morning. He had watched Brett laugh out loud, splashing the water over his head and before long, he was dipping his head into the water, unbothered by the temperature.

Eddy was now sinking deeper into the sea, using his hands to navigate himself better as well as kicking the sand underneath his feet to allow him to move quicker, unsure how much longer it would be until Brett was whining and crying his name out in pure exhaustion. Brett had never been a patient person.

He finally lifted his leg out of the scalding water and stood next to Brett, looking at the way the frames of his glasses had sand clung onto them. Eddy found it unbelievable that Brett was two years older than him, that he was in fact supposed to already being in his sophomore year of high school but was spending his summer vacation going to the beach with Eddy by his side every single time he had the opportunity.

"Why are you in eighth grade? Did you get held back twice or something like that?"

Brett nodded but at the same time made a noise signifying a negative answer. "Yes and no. Most kids start school at the age of five, but I started when I was six, and I got held back once in second grade because the teacher said I hadn't learned a thing all year."

"Ahh I see.."

Brett looked at Eddy. Usual large grin and happy eyes turning to Eddy's cold stone face, a lot of cold. He was shivering from the sea.

"I always feel right at home when I'm by the ocean." Brett says, pointing to the almost clear water below them. The water moved in small waves at the moment, and he could see the way the plants and the weeds moved along with them, in absolute harmony and calmness. "Maybe if I stay underwater long enough, they'll take me back as a fish. You know I am a fish right?" He asks, turning to Eddy with the same grin. That damn grin.

"You're a fish Brett." Eddy dead pans, staring at Brett who was clapping his hands excitedly.

"Yes! I knew you'd understand I belong to the ocean!"