Prologue

22.

That's how old Brett was.

He was staring at the ceiling of Eddy's apartment, laying on Eddy's bed. They had cuddled together multiple times, so sharing a bed wasn't an uncommon thing in their relationship. Currently, he was listening to the soft breathes being emitted by Eddy, who was 19 (nearing 20) at that time, who had fallen asleep after watching four Harry Potter movies in a row with Brett.

The voices in his head swarmed violently, not allowing him to fully relax against the mattress, and even as he desperately wanted to sleep, he couldn't. He was usually gone like a light whenever he slept over at Eddy's apartment, Eddy's bed was just so comfortable and the scent lingering on his blankets were able to lull him into a death-like sleep almost immediately. Not to mention having Eddy right next to him helped to bring comfort.

He sat up, pushing Eddy's head away from his body accidentally, waking him in the process. Excitement coursed through his veins as he pushed his body off the bed, rushing to get his shoes on. Today was the day. It was nearing two am, and Eddy's birthday was only 2 days away, but he couldn't wait any longer. The ocean wouldn't accept him another day. He needed to leave now.

Eddy heard Brett's rustling, and he sat up in alarm, rubbing the sleep quickly off of his eyes. Brett was pulling on his hoodie, hands shaking in pure anticipation and a smile played on his lips.

"Where are you going?" Eddy asked, standing from the bed and turning on the light of the room.

Brett looked down at his hands nervously. "I didn't mean to wake you, I apologize."

"Where are you going?" Eddy repeated, noticing how Brett was so jumpy, more than usual, but he was also hesitating, he was going to get into trouble again.

Trouble always began with Brett.

Brett looked away from Eddy's gaze, feeling small compared to the other man, regardless of the fact he was two years older. He looked around the room, seeing the recording cameras on the desk that were charging, the tripod in the corner with some ring lights and such. Was he really about to leave this life behind?

He shook a bit, was this the right choice?

Yes. Yes it is. He didn't belong on land. He never has. Now the ocean was calling to him, the sirens in his head were telling him this was the moment he's been waiting for ever since he was a kid.

"Eddy..." he whispers, his eyes were threatening to fill with tears at any given moment, he wasn't sure how much of this fear he could handle. "I'm scared."

Eddy shook his head, placing his hands carefully on Brett's thin shoulders firmly, while at the same time trying to be gentle with Brett. He didn't know what was going on, and he hated that fact. He usually always knew what Brett was thinking simply by looking at his face, but right now; his expression was unreadable. He hates being ignorant to anything.

"Why? What's going on?" He asked in a hurry. He wanted to know immediately.

Brett remained silent for a few more minutes, he was looking between Eddy and the room surrounding him. He was going to miss him.

When Brett failed to respond to Eddy's numerous attempts to coax the answer out of him, he simply sighed and took Brett's slim, warm hand into his. He could feel his knuckles through the skin easily, the thin fingers too. These were Brett's hands.

"You know I'll do anything you ask me to." Eddy says, placing a kiss to Brett's head.

The sirens were quieting down, and Brett knew he was running out of time. He wouldn't be allowed to become a fish if they wasted anymore time.